Ally radiators in the UK

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

crayefish
Getting There
Getting There

Ally radiators in the UK

Post by crayefish »

Does anyone know where you can get cheap ally radiators in the uk? Places like Jegs and Summit do cheap ones that come in almost any size, but I dont fancy paying the whoooooping shipping costs.

The other question is whether I go for a small front mounted, or a larger rear roof mounted radiator. The rear would give me more cooling, but would be a lot of work (like I dont have enough to do!)

What is a recomended rad area for 250 hp for off road use?

Zander

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Zander,

I have been doing similar research and came up with this company on e-bay who have a wide range of Aly rads and you might find one that can be adapted,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nissens-Aluminium ... %26ps%3D54

They do one for the mustang engined MG ZT260 and they seem incredibly cheap!

Kevin

crayefish
Getting There
Getting There

Post by crayefish »

Cheers Kevin. I have emailed the guy to ask whether they can make one to a given set of dimensions with no features such as filler cap.
Zander

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Zander

I think they are made in Holland but be interesting to know if they can adapt or make one to order.

If you have a look at the Nissens web site thery list all models.

Kevin.

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Docking Raditors near Silverstone make tjhem to any size and spec you need
http://www.dockingengineering.com/products.html

For Example
GT40 300mm high 600mm wide core single pass 4 core deep in and out on bottom and angled as ras slopes forward of rad temperature sensor bung (Ford thread for fans) blead nipple on top

cost about £400

And said to be good for motors up tp 600HP so overcools in my car but the thermostat can take care of that

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi Zander
Brise fabrications in Kent can make to any spec and are reasonably priced and can work from a cardboard or similar template.
I think the guy you need to talk to is Tim Hoeness.
Cheers
Paul

crayefish
Getting There
Getting There

Post by crayefish »

Cheers guys... £400 is a little too expensive, but I will try the other people. I was hoping to get one for about £150 tops

Any thoughts on size? Hopefully I can get away with one the same size as my current one.... I have heard people have used the original ones when in good condition with a V8 conversion, but I expect they are 150hp ones so perhaps not.... though ally instead of copper will help
Zander

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

If you want an alloy rad for £150, your only chance is a cheap ebay rad, intended for another vehicle.

Nobody is going to make a custom rad for that sort of money,
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

crayefish
Getting There
Getting There

Post by crayefish »

stevieturbo wrote:If you want an alloy rad for £150, your only chance is a cheap ebay rad, intended for another vehicle.

Nobody is going to make a custom rad for that sort of money,
I was thinking less of a custom one, and more of a universal fitment type...

LIke these from summit: http://www.summitracing.com/search/Depa ... s=Rank|Asc

only £100 for a rad! maybe in 6-12 months a bunch of us could do a combined order from america and save n shipping... i know a few people are after american parts
Zander

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Zander
If you watch the exchange rates for the US you can sometimes get a steal.
I have ordred from Summit many times and they are very quick with their order turn around.
You will pay a $15 handling charge plus shipping(always get it sent by surface mail,much cheaper) plus about 10% as a miscellaneos auto part for import duties and then VAT.
All that being said if the exchange rate is good you can still get the kit in for less than a custom made unit over here,sometimes it comes in at about half price which is GOOD.
Always best to phone late at night aswell because you get straight through on the phone then.
If all of that is too much hassle then how about looking at some of the Puegeot rads as some of these are ali.

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

I had a 4 core copper rad made to fit my car by Northern Radiators and it only cost £140

http://www.northernradiators.co.uk/products/index.html

Good debate going on here re alloy/copper rads

>> http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=61247&page=9

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Copper of suitable thickness and construction is a better radiator.

Alloy looks nicer.

ALmost any radiator repair shop around the country could make you a custom copper based rad, or perhaps supply a plastic/alloy rad from stock at sensible prices.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Did some more researsh re the Nissens Rads, their made in Denmark but the standard types seen to all be alloy cores with plastic crimped on end tanks and there have been some reports of leakage due to insufficient crimping pressure to seal the gaskets.

They do apparently make rads for NASCAR, Aston Martin and Lambougini among others but i suspect these are to a much higher spec and would be priced accordingly.

I have looked around for a made to measure or stock performance rad for a MGBV8 and they are priced at £400-£480.00 a new MGBV8 standard all copper rad was only about £120.

I think i've read somewhere that some rad reconditioners can use the the tanks from the existing rad and fit a larger/more efficient core but can't remember who did it, any thoughts?

Kevin.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

CastleMGBV8 wrote:Did some more researsh re the Nissens Rads, their made in Denmark but the standard types seen to all be alloy cores with plastic crimped on end tanks and there have been some reports of leakage due to insufficient crimping pressure to seal the gaskets.

They do apparently make rads for NASCAR, Aston Martin and Lambougini among others but i suspect these are to a much higher spec and would be priced accordingly.

I have looked around for a made to measure or stock performance rad for a MGBV8 and they are priced at £400-£480.00 a new MGBV8 standard all copper rad was only about £120.

I think i've read somewhere that some rad reconditioners can use the the tanks from the existing rad and fit a larger/more efficient core but can't remember who did it, any thoughts?

Kevin.
Comments about Nissens are balls. Considering virtually every modern car uses plastic crimped end tanks with no trouble, and Nissens makes millions of OE fitments, they are perfectly fine. You cant blame problems due to poor mountint or installation on the radiators.

Just contact any local radiator repair shop. ANY of them can make a radiator.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

crayefish
Getting There
Getting There

Post by crayefish »

Call me old fashioned but I am not sure i would be comfortable with a rad with plastic end tanks on an off road vehicle. I like things made of metal... especially seeing as its an offroader.

The comments about copper rads are interesting though... might have a chat to northen rads (they make one for a series 3) and see how much hp worth of heat they can handle. if not, then looks like it might be an ally one from america
Zander

Return to “Cooling Area”