Ally radiators in the UK

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Very possible in an off roader. But if correctly mounted, then it will be perfectly fine. Obviously impact damage can damage any radiator.

Other than alloy looking nice, it is of no benefit whatsoever...excpet perhaps weight. Which I doubt is an issue in a 4x4.

Just contact any radiator repair shop. This place over here is a dumpo, and we have plenty of them, so I'm sure there are dozens in your locality who can make a radiator. They will have catalogues of cores of all shapes and sizes, and fabbing up end tanks isnt rocket science.

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

JJMclure
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JJMclure »

give these guys a look under northern radiators lots of different sizes

http://www.usaimports.co.uk/

crayefish
Getting There
Getting There

Post by crayefish »

stevieturbo wrote:Very possible in an off roader. But if correctly mounted, then it will be perfectly fine. Obviously impact damage can damage any radiator.

Other than alloy looking nice, it is of no benefit whatsoever...excpet perhaps weight. Which I doubt is an issue in a 4x4.

Just contact any radiator repair shop. This place over here is a dumpo, and we have plenty of them, so I'm sure there are dozens in your locality who can make a radiator. They will have catalogues of cores of all shapes and sizes, and fabbing up end tanks isnt rocket science.
Weight is still very important... not so much for acceleration, but lower wieght helps for softer landings over jumps. Reducing the weight at the front is especially important. Otherwise it tends to nosedive over jumps.

I will have a look to see if I can find any rad repair shops... anyone know of any in the London / south west england area?

that usaimports site looks good... they dont show prices though. Might give them an email
Zander

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Copper rads are easier to repair as well. Due to the impurities inside the rad welding up the alloy cores is near impossible.

crayefish
Getting There
Getting There

Post by crayefish »

r2d2hp wrote:Copper rads are easier to repair as well. Due to the impurities inside the rad welding up the alloy cores is near impossible.
Damage isnt an issue... if I hit something it will be beyond repair. Luckily the biggest thing I have hit so far was a small tree... and at the time I had bull bars fitted so I flattened the tree and went straight over it. And I have a steel grill to protect from stones
Zander

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Lol surely a pound of extra weight wont make much difference in a landy?! The only already lightweight thing on em is the ally panels! Seriously though there is more weight in the water in the rad than the rad itself so I wouldn't worry, plus you may be able to use a smaller one in copper which would mean less difference in weight still.
TC

crayefish
Getting There
Getting There

Post by crayefish »

topcatproduction wrote:Lol surely a pound of extra weight wont make much difference in a landy?! The only already lightweight thing on em is the ally panels! Seriously though there is more weight in the water in the rad than the rad itself so I wouldn't worry, plus you may be able to use a smaller one in copper which would mean less difference in weight still.
The fuel tank is always empty so thats pretty light! :D
Zander

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

stevieturbo wrote:
CastleMGBV8 wrote:Did some more researsh re the Nissens Rads, their made in Denmark but the standard types seen to all be alloy cores with plastic crimped on end tanks and there have been some reports of leakage due to insufficient crimping pressure to seal the gaskets.

They do apparently make rads for NASCAR, Aston Martin and Lambougini among others but i suspect these are to a much higher spec and would be priced accordingly.

I have looked around for a made to measure or stock performance rad for a MGBV8 and they are priced at £400-£480.00 a new MGBV8 standard all copper rad was only about £120.

I think i've read somewhere that some rad reconditioners can use the the tanks from the existing rad and fit a larger/more efficient core but can't remember who did it, any thoughts?

Kevin.
Comments about Nissens are balls. Considering virtually every modern car uses plastic crimped end tanks with no trouble, and Nissens makes millions of OE fitments, they are perfectly fine. You cant blame problems due to poor mountint or installation on the radiators.

Just contact any local radiator repair shop. ANY of them can make a radiator.

Nissens are actually very good makers of radiators, we stock them at work in all shapes and sizes and I managed to get one that was made for a mercedes E300D that has the pipes in the right place for a rover app. Some of the rads made for mercs and large diesel cars or luxury cars are well up to cooling a rover v8 and possibly more.

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Bear,

Thats good to hear, is there anything from the Nissens rang that would be of sufficient capacity for a 260 + BHP 4.35 Rover that could fit into or be adapted to fit into a MGBV8.

I could measure the existing core size if that would be a help.

Kevin.

stu8

Post by stu8 »

Stuart

Return to “Cooling Area”