Converting A Heated manifold.

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Converting A Heated manifold.

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Just wondering if it is possible to convert a heated inlet manifold to unheated, and if anyone has sucessfully done it,

Clearly you would have to cut off the part at the front of the manifold which links to the heads and replace it with a fabricated part with a thermostat housing linking the two heads and a connection point for the top hose.

What else might be required to maintain proper circulation of the coolant?

Kevin.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

And blank off the water ports on the rear of the heads.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Chris,

They would be still blanked by the existing manifold, as far as I can see you would only have to modify the front section.

Would need to factor in a temp sensor pick up position for efi and if a heater is required replace the lost passage through the manifold with an extra pipe under the manifold connected at the stat housing postion to provide flow before the stat opens.

Kevin.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

how about, bung up the pipes at the back, stand it up on the back end with the thermostat housing bit at the top (ie with the north south line vertically up down, the end that points forward normally pointing straight up) , fill with resin until you can see the level by looking into the thermostat housing, let it set, job done.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Mike,

Nice idea but I'm not sure how the coolant actually flows through the manifold.

I have a feeling that the coolant comes up through the ports in the heads at the front and then goes to the rear of the manifold before exiting at the front at the thermostat housing, but I could be totally wrong of course.

I have a spare EFI manifold for my eventual EFI conversion so will dig it out and try and work out the flow paths.

Kevin.

Return to “Cooling Area”