Sneaky leak !

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Dangerdoc

Sneaky leak !

Post by Dangerdoc »

Hi everyone,

Well here is a wee note to all you lads and lassies who are tearing your hair out looking for reasons why your temp is up and down like a preverbial.

It is not the whole answer, obviously sticking stats etc.. play their part but I have been hunting down this wee begger for a while.

Overview: Range Rover Classic, 3.5l EFi, new engine, now running fine but heating up and then cooling down with the help of tweaking of the electric fan (pull flow and in the correct orientation for that flow). Got the fan where I want it now and will review this when the leak is stopped.

Used the heater when the temp was spiking as she was using small amounts of water and needed topping up every 20 miles or so. Not good.

Today - well after reading this forum, noted that there was a flow diversion problem when the heater was up full and it was recommended that turn off the heater matrix to provide more flow through the engine radiator. Did that.

Hey presto - spotted a jet of water coming from the heater feed pipe union where the flexible pipe leaves the head and then joins the metal pipe towards the rear of the engine over the offside rocker cover.

This was NOT happening when the heater matrix was in the loop.

What this taught me was invaluable - when seeking to find water leaks and so on, do everything you can to change the pressures and flow velocities to reveal the hidden aspects.

Great to note the tips on this forum and it would have been ages to find that little begger had it not been for the posts on here.

Hopefully my little tale here will help another person. :roll:

Good luck to you all.

Doc

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

cheers for that Doc,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Return to “Cooling Area”