sender or gauge

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

sender or gauge

Post by bones »

Hi all, well the temp gauge isnt working, is there away of testing the gauge or sender before i go and replace either, its a rover engine with the standard gauges in it, The sender in the inlet is a square with 2 connectors, most of the ones ive seen are just a single spade item, The low coolant level works ok,and the sender connector part can be turned around?? but it doesnt leak, advice needed again :D rich

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Rich are you sure the 'sender' isnt a thermostat switch to turn an electric fan on or off? I only ask as they often have 2 terminals! I guess to test the sender you would need to test impedance and resistance across the terminals- or 1 terminal and earth when the engine is cold and hot, but don't know if you would be able to test accurately enough to assume it works well enough to use!

I think with the 2 most important gauges- water temp and oil pressure it would be wise to have them checked or buy good new ones or something along those lines so you know they are accurate!

TC

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

put the wire thats on the sensor to ground, your gauge should read full scale. If it does then suspect your sensor if it doesnt then most likely your gauge or wiring to it. Temp sender should only have one connection as TC states so it does sound like your looking at the fan switch. Temp sender is on left very front of actual manifold looking from front of car

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

Hi Rich,

After doing as katanaman suggests.Was your car originally a 3.5 carb model? If it was then another possiblity is the FASD module inside the instrument binnacle. If it has failed or has a bad contact your temp gauge won't work(its located behind the temp gauge, looks like a tall blue relay) I would also try removing the multi plug from the back of the instuments & giving the contacts a clean.

Ged

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

it was a 3.5 carb model,the gauge was working until i took the engine out, ive tried earthing out the terminals but the gauge doesnt do anything, and ive tried the wires at the back of the gauges, looks like a new gauge is needed,but will check the relay thing first, thanks for the replies all :( rich

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

Hi Rich,

If the gauge was working before the engine swap I think it must be either a bad connection or a disconnected wire. In 23 years of SD1s I've never had a temp gauge fail. I'm not saying it's impossible but I think the chances are unlikely.

Hope this helps.

Ged.

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

i will have alook at the wiring and blue box, as i dont want to waste the dosh on gauges, Why would my sender have a box and 2 tiny terminals ,when most are only 1 connector. Even the other rover motors ive got have the 1 terminal sender in them?? :? rich ,Ok i just had alook at british v8 site and they show the same sender as mine ,and they show it with a fuel injected motor, :) rich Another edit, been out testing it all again earthed the oil gauge and it when straight up ,but water temp nothing ,and i tested it at the gauge itself, so i guess the gauge has gone, :? rich

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

Ok i fitted a spare gauge ,and earthing it on the 7th wire green/blue the needle goes full cycle, but the 2 wires coming out the sender are black/white and black/grey ,and when i try earthing them out the gauge doesnt do squat on either, I take it rover changed the colour behind the dashboard, as i cant find the black ones coming onto the top part of dash, Could i re-wire it using a single connector sender??. I hate electrics, :evil: rich

Return to “Cooling Area”