advise before i take action

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

herpmad

advise before i take action

Post by herpmad »

ok my engine is heating up at wat i would class as a normal time frame (no fan fitted yet ) but although there is pressure in the water sytem and no leaks seen the outlet pipe from raditator dosnt seem to fill with water it dose warm up with the engine and i can feel movment but im able to squeeze the pipe even wen hot, also there is a lot of grinding nose from the pump (engine been stood for a about 4 months with no real running ) when i brought the landy i was told the water pump made nose but worked fine im thinking this is just through lack of use

so my option are remove and check the thermostate

and/ or replace the water pump but as i said i can feel water moving throught the pipes

is there anything else it can be that i missed (dont no much about this as said in other threads) or am i just best replacing both and/or wat do you recomend ?

many thanks

shane

ramon alban
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: advise before i take action

Post by ramon alban »

herpmad wrote: but although there is pressure in the water sytem and no leaks seen the outlet pipe from raditator dosnt seem to fill with water it dose warm up with the engine and i can feel movment but im able to squeeze the pipe even wen hot ------ i was told the water pump made nose but worked fine,
Hello Shane,

Does not seem to fill and can squeeze pipe, radiator warms up with engine = two problems.

Your thermostat is defo stuck open so needs to be checked for stuck debris or correct function.

AND you have incomplete water fill or airlocks.

Not written for your system but all V8's usually respond to this method - see here:

http://www.vintagemodelairplane.com/pag ... ant01.html

and adapt the instructions to your system.

Regarding the noisy pump, fitting the fan will load the bearings and quiet it down, otherwise just let it be until you have fixed the stat and the air lock.

herpmad

Post by herpmad »

thanks m8 thought about airlocks late last night

cool wat a fun wet day ahead

thanks again

herpmad

Post by herpmad »

the thermostat is 88'c is it worth buying one that opens at a cooler temp now its off

this one works fine after testing bang on 88'c it opens but wondering if a cooler one would be better

Return to “Cooling Area”