water hose part number

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

101v8

water hose part number

Post by 101v8 »

I’ve put an inlet manifold with SUs from a Defender in my landrover 101 v8. The S-shaped pipe that runs from the front of the manifold to the back of the waterpump is leaking and I need to replace it (possibly called the thermostat bypass hose?). It’s a different length to the 101 pipe, and I was wondering if anyone knew the correct part no. for it as I don’t have the defender parts catalogue. Its not the pipe that joins to the straight pipe bolted underneath the manifiold, if that makes any sense. Is it ERC2319 or ERC2320, or something else?

Thanks for your help

william

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Have you had a look at the Rimmer Bros website? That's a useful place to find part numbers from.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

101v8

Post by 101v8 »

yes. they seem to give ERC2320, but i'm not sure from their diagram if its the right piece. The picture of ERC2320 from the LRdirect website doesn't look as if its right though.

russell_ram
Getting There
Getting There

Post by russell_ram »

Any help? I am using a Defender cover and use these.

Russ

edit: Sorry, photobucket seems to have re-sized somehow, I'll re-load it later.
Rover Powered to 11.63sec @ 128mph.

101v8

Post by 101v8 »

cheers for the pic.
I've ordered a pipe that'll hopefully fit.
Is it possible to change the pipe without draining the whole cooling system? If i just drained the 2 block drain taps, would that be enough?

william

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

You just need to drain the system to lower than the level of the pipe. Which is a fair bit to be honest. I use the drain plugs you mention and a bucket, then I can put it all back in again.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

101v8

Post by 101v8 »

I got a new pipe, but its still leaking coolant. The end of the pipe that attaches to the water pump keeps sliding off, no matter how hard the hose-clip has been tightened.
Is this likely to be because of a low quality pipe (its quite thin compared to the old one), low quality hose-clips, or could it be due to a bad connection on the water pump.

cheers
William

PS the part no. was ERC 2319

RoverP6B
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by RoverP6B »

I have ERC2319 on my engine and have no problems. (SD1 timing cover, P6 waterpump)

You could try some silastik on the waterpump pipe, slide over the hose, tighten the hose clamp (use a new stainless steel one), then leave alone for an hour or so before topping up the coolant and running the engine.

If this fails too, and the length of ERC2319 proves to be the problem,..buy a length of heater hose such as made by Dayco and curve it to suit.

Ron.
4.6 Rover 3500 P6B

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

I had this problem on mine. I cleaned the ally spout with a small brass brush to make sure it was clean and dry. I also cleaned inside the hose with petrol to make sure that was dry. And as the ally spout was a bit pitted. I smeared some Fernox LSX leak sealer on and nipped it down very gently. Then I left it overnight to cure and nipped it down again. This time it didn't slip off. And its never leaked since.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

101v8

Post by 101v8 »

mgbv8 wrote: I cleaned the ally spout with a small brass brush to make sure it was clean and dry.
Cheers for the suggestions. I have cleaned the ally spout, and roughened it slightly. i then tightened the hose clip with a socket, rather than a screwdriver, and theres been no leak so far, but i've only ran it a few miles. fingers crossed that the leak doesn't re-appear.

thanks again
william

Return to “Cooling Area”