Advice Needed on Cooling Set-up

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

marcoos_1

Advice Needed on Cooling Set-up

Post by marcoos_1 »

Apologies if this has been covered before.......I did look but couldn't quite find the answer........

GT40 Build. Rover V8 Offenhauser manifold, rad at the front with feed and return by two large bore pipes up the centre of the car and a 'swirl pot' header tank mounted high up which has one large inlet at the top and one larget outlet at the bottom.

Am I right in assuming that the water flow comes from the outlet on the waterpump (the one that points to about 10 o'clock as you look at the pump from the front) and that this should then be connected to the inlet side of my radiator? If this is the case, where does my return go - to the top of the swirl pot? I would then have to connect the outlet of the swirl pot to the outlet of the Offenhauser. Somehow doesn't seem right.......

aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Coolant flows from the inlet manifold to top radiator connection then from bottom connection to pump. I am really not sure but I would think the manifold would connect to the top swirl pot connection then from the bottom to the rad in effect breaking the manifold to top rad connection. This way round should make sure air doesn't pass into your rad.

marcoos_1

Post by marcoos_1 »

I think you're right.

I just had a look at my friends V8 Dutton and the inlet pipe goes straight to the rad.

I've now plumbed it so that a pipe goes from the inlet to the top swirl pot, then from the bottom swirl pot to the rad inlet, then from the rad outlet to the water pump inlet. Looks good. I'll try to get it wired up and exhaust on to see if it will run tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

When bleeding the system

Jack the front of your car 12 - 18 inches up in the air
It will assist clearing bubbes fron the back of the heads and also clear any bubbles in the long pipes to the rad.

Don;t forget that after that you will need to bleed the rad (again!)

I hope the swirl is big enoug for an expansion tank as you can expect over a pint to expand out when hot!

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Return to “Cooling Area”