Airflow Around Engine Block

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

davemgb
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by davemgb »

Ian,

I think Farnell will supply web orders paid by credit card - try item http://uk.farnell.com/7749228/electrica ... ron-mt12b3 which is similar but appears to be at an end of range clearance price.

Dave

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Dave

I phoned them and the tech support said the units would not be man enough for that sort of application - said the fans were designed to blow air through a server cupboard. (Suggested 3 - 4 per cupboard!)

Did some more digging and found http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Marine-b ... enameZWDVW

A mate who was in both the navy and ran a couple of "boats" in the Med said the bilge motors were seriously strong and moved masses of air.

So now I am confused 300cfm on a computer fan - not good but 250cfm on a bilge one is good (At least the boat unit should be damp proof) And they come with mounting feet!

Also if you want a laugh read the post / mailing info at the bottom of this ad!

Cheers
Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

stu8

Post by stu8 »

$25m for an outer space delivery seems a good deal :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stuart

davemgb
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by davemgb »

Ian,

Seen these before - http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ ... ode=CWP140 can't comment on them but they do look like they would do my diff cooling job.

Once did the calcs for a trebuchet to send containers across the channel, decided it was impractical to have a reusable heat sheild and could not transport live cargo due to g forces on landing!

Dave

marcoos_1

Post by marcoos_1 »

Ian,

I have a similar set up to you - Rover V8 in GT40, but mine is not as far on as yours....so I have yet to encounter the 'traffic on a warm day whilst stationary' situation!

I also have a Stratos replica which I have cured the problem on however. I mounted a normal hi-flo radiator fan at the back end of my engine bay. It comes on when the normal cooling fans for the rad do, because exactly as you say, the fans are at the fron on the rad and the engine is sitting right behind you producing all the heat. It works brilliantly and made a noticeable difference. It's also not a problem having it come on with the toher fans, as fans normally only run when you are slowing down anyway and the normal airflow over the car has decreased. I had the fan on a manual switch first, but then tried it linked to the others and found this works better. Make sure you get a 'fron mounted fan', i.e. one that draws air through the rad, because you will be turning it around but still doing the same job, just with the air coming out the back.

On another subject - I need to talk to you ref Renault Transaxles and adaptor plates etc. Is it possible you could email me your number so I can call you. I've put a post in the GT40 forum and someone said you had the same set-up.

M.

Return to “Cooling Area”