coolant pipes to radiator what goes where??

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

v8viva

coolant pipes to radiator what goes where??

Post by v8viva »

Hi all...i know this question comes up fairly regularly but i have had a good trawl through and cant quite find what i'm looking for.
I have a standard 3.5 rover v8 circa 1978 in my HB viva.
The radiator is a standard sdi one with just a filler hole at the top left hand corner and one 8mm pipe in the top left corner next to the filler.
On the bypass pipe which goes under the inlet manifold,there is a little 8mm sort of size pipe outlet sticking up and the rest is as you'd expect it.
My question is,do i blank off the little bypass pipe on the pipe that comes out of the inlet manifold(i shall probably blank off the ones which run under the inlet manifold anyway once i have found suitable blanks) and just run an expansion bottle from the 8mm outlet at the top of the rad to allow for any ebb and flow?
it just means i have no rad cap in the system doing it that way but is that a problem?

If at first you dont succeed.....destroy all evidence that you tried!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

The small 8mm pipe sticking up behind the distributor is supposed to go to a hot-spot under the throttle butterfly on EFi engines, and it returns to another pipe on the inlet manifold next to the water temp sensor.

The small pipe on the radiator goes to the header tank. My header tank also has a large pipe going out of the bottom which T's into the bottom radiator hose.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

v8viva

Post by v8viva »

so i can forget about the 8mm pipe behind the distributor and then either go for header tank or expansion tank
If at first you dont succeed.....destroy all evidence that you tried!

rod_922

Post by rod_922 »

Help please?
To add to this and also ask possibly the same question but with a photo.
Are you talking about the pipe which on this photo is the most rusty?

I'm not sure if this should be connected to somthing or not, at the other end of the engine it's just looped back it does'nt connect to anything. I'm building a kit car and doesn't need any heating plumbing in.

Any advice?

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

The rusty pipe should be connected to the outlet on the pump which in the pic you can see pointing upward next to the alternator. The connection next to this on the right is the other side of this circuit and at the back should be the other ends of these connections. Their purpose is to supply the heater circuit from the back of the engine. If you don't want a heater you can connect the two at the back of the engine together, blank them off at the pump or loop them together at the pump. Ether way the way you have them at the moment is going to pour coolant all over the place so you need to do one or the other. Downside of blanking at the pump or looping there is you loose the heater block at the throttle. No idea if it will make much odds to be honest.

spartanv8

Question for ChrisJC

Post by spartanv8 »

Hi
Which bottom hose did you use to be able to t into the header tank?
Thanks
Fil
If it's got booby bits or tires it's going to be trouble!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

My bottom hose with the 'T' is for an LDV V8. However it'll be expensive!

And they'll probably want a VIN number to be able to correctly identify the part which is a real pain on a bitser.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Cooling Area”