Idea Cooling system.

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

TVRleigh
Getting There
Getting There

Idea Cooling system.

Post by TVRleigh »

Ok if you could have the idea cooling system, what would you use.
I don't need a heater matrix or to hear the plenum.
The rad will be very low in the nose. I know this is not Ideal, as the Rv8 pumps like to push the water up not down.

I think TVR got round this on the later car buy fitting a swirl pot.
I so have of of these I can fit.
Sould I also use an expansion tank. if so should this come off the swirl pot of Radiator.

Also the extra outlets for the heater matrix, plenum etc can this be blocked or should they be routed together.

This is all going into a race car.

Current V8 car TVR 400SE 240 BHP
Current Project TVR Tasmin Race, with 3.9 running at 230 BHP
Currently building a 4.6 300 BHP Xbolted Engine for it. Solid Lifters and Group A rockers, Stange 4 heads, Pocketed piston, fully balanced.

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Similar to what is in the GT40

I have routed the heater matrix send and return together.

Then added a couple of bleeds back to the header / expansion tank that is higher than the engine.
I must still fit a bleed back from the top of the rad to the header as bubbles can get in there and reduce efficiensy.

Main pipes to and from the rad are direct from the normal places

Works well untill stuck in traffic when I overheat with all the heat baking throught the tunnel holding the pipes and also the hot air coming from the fans.

that said engine temp stay in a good steady range.

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

TVRleigh
Getting There
Getting There

Post by TVRleigh »

Thanks
Ian, have you got any pic's also what have you done to the other in's and outs.
Current V8 car TVR 400SE 240 BHP
Current Project TVR Tasmin Race, with 3.9 running at 230 BHP
Currently building a 4.6 300 BHP Xbolted Engine for it. Solid Lifters and Group A rockers, Stange 4 heads, Pocketed piston, fully balanced.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Similar to what my set up (will be) in my MG.

I use a standard radiator (inlet @ top right, outlet @ bottom left, and overflow @ top which is connected to top connection on header tank).

The bottom of the header tank then feeds into the old heater matrix feed on the water pump itself, and is also T'eed to the additional connection on the front left of the taraka manifold.

The other out from the water pump goes into the manifold as usual.

Very simple (I hope!) - although I had a custom swirl pot (similar to the ones TVR use) with extra connections, it was far easier not to use this than to try and fit it into the system!

Return to “Cooling Area”