Overheating TVR 350i

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

DIB

Overheating TVR 350i

Post by DIB »

Hoping someone may be able to shed some light on a wee problem. I replaced the otter switch in the radiator of my 1984 350I as the fans weren't cutting in. I then bled the coolant system by topping the car up via the radiator and then running it until the thermostat opened. I then continued to top it up via the header tank until it stopped bubbling. To cut a long story short, it seems to be free from airlocks (all hoses including both heater ones are warm) but the coolant is still over flowing through the shut radiator cap and the header tank. Car is still over heating also even with the fans running. This has the nosecone type radiator. Help?

TVR 350i

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

i had this with my v8 capri,
i had to take the car for a short run as there was one airlock i could not remove,
the temp gauge was in the red, after a short journey the temp gauge shot dow to near zero and the heater went real hot, pulled over topped the header tank up again, and been sweet ever since, temp gauge comes upto just under 3/4 when in traffic with fans on ,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

DIB

Post by DIB »

Thanks a lot for the reply, with give this a go and see how I get on. :)
TVR 350i

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Was it doing this before you replaced the otter switch or was it just overheating?

DIB

Post by DIB »

Just over heating although I only had it a couple of weeks (and not much use) before replacing the otter switch.
TVR 350i

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Ok sounds like you might just have an air block then. If it had done it before I would have said you might have a blown head gasket due to overheating.

ramon alban
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: Overheating TVR 350i

Post by ramon alban »

DIB wrote:Hoping someone may be able to shed some light on a wee problem. I replaced the otter switch in the radiator of my 1984 350I as the fans weren't cutting in. I then bled the coolant system by topping the car up via the radiator and then running it until the thermostat opened. I then continued to top it up via the header tank until it stopped bubbling. To cut a long story short, it seems to be free from airlocks (all hoses including both heater ones are warm) but the coolant is still over flowing through the shut radiator cap and the header tank. Car is still over heating also even with the fans running. This has the nosecone type radiator. Help?
I dont know how similar to the Rover SD1 your system is but you have airlocks which are not being fully expelled. Raise the idle speed, let it burp, adding fluid when it rests, burp again, add fluid until it stops burping.

For the full process see the index here.

http://www.vintagemodelairplane.com/pag ... cks01.html

and click on "V8 Coolant fill without airlocks"

Return to “Cooling Area”