Fan switches

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Fan switches

Post by Alley Kat »

What temps do production (i.e. scrapyard) fan switches generally trigger at? Are they all similar, or is there much in the way of temp differences at which they go 'continuous'?

ta
bill

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

They seem to be all different between manufacturers for examle all BMW seem to be 91-99 c , VW/Audi 85-102 c , Porsche seem to have 2 85-93 and 87-92. The more common ones dont seem to be well published at all. I ended up going for an adjustable electronic one to save any hassle.

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Cheers Marki, I'll hit the yards then and see what turns up,
Bill

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Some cars (Astra 1.7 diesel) have a two speed system with two sensors. Slow speed for 88-93 and high speed for >93.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Ta Chris,

Bill

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

i use an audi one, mine comes on around 89 ish,

renault espace use a two stage switch(where my fans came from), one side triggers one fan, the other side triggers both fans when the coolant gets to hot, i was going to use this set up but lost the switch and stuck with the audi one and wired it up so both fans came on.
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

cheers T ...

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Ford ones are colour coded

Speak to a good factors shoppe and they will be able to tell you what order they go in and you can then pick the one you like

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Ta Ian. Got a decent one in town, luckily.

The Original Tom
Getting There
Getting There

Post by The Original Tom »

It's a Land Rover accessory, I know, but it would work in any vehicle. And it's good because it'll take fan current so there's no need for extra switches / relays.

http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-Therm.asp?MID=38

HTH Tom.
Rover 3.5 V8 landy - Completely rebuilt and purring... Now awaiting a good tune!!

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Posh! Cheers.

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Post by ppyvabw »

katanaman wrote:They seem to be all different between manufacturers for examle all BMW seem to be 91-99 c , VW/Audi 85-102 c , Porsche seem to have 2 85-93 and 87-92. The more common ones dont seem to be well published at all. I ended up going for an adjustable electronic one to save any hassle.
Is it one of those ones where you stuff the copper pipe/sensor thing down the inside of the hose or is it one that is a proper tube that the top hose fits onto.

Not sure if I like the former, it seems a bit half arsed. Has anyone else got any opinions about them/ had trouble with them leaking.

I have a ford granada switch in mine (I think if I remember correctly) and there are different values like Ian said.

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

ppyvabw wrote: Is it one of those ones where you stuff the copper pipe/sensor thing down the inside of the hose or is it one that is a proper tube that the top hose fits onto.

Not sure if I like the former, it seems a bit half arsed. Has anyone else got any opinions about them/ had trouble with them leaking.

I have a ford granada switch in mine (I think if I remember correctly) and there are different values like Ian said.
Thats the Kenlowe type, I have one. They seal OK if you use two jublie clips next to each other, so you have even pressure over it.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

No I didn't use the Kenlow type as I don't fancy the coper capillary tube thing. I used one of these instead:

The Original Tom
Getting There
Getting There

Post by The Original Tom »

katanaman wrote:No I didn't use the Kenlow type as I don't fancy the coper capillary tube thing. I used one of these instead:

The same as the one from X-Eng, but that one doesn't require an external relay.
On the downside it's non-adjustable but the 2 ranges they sell will do for almost any engine.
ppyvabw wrote:Is it one of those ones where you stuff the copper pipe/sensor thing down the inside of the hose or is it one that is a proper tube that the top hose fits onto.

I've had one for 2 years and it's never leaked. Just do up the jubilee clip and make sure the copper capillary sits in the rubber groove ok and it won't leak.
Rover 3.5 V8 landy - Completely rebuilt and purring... Now awaiting a good tune!!

Return to “Cooling Area”