Correct temp for Rover V8

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Daimler

Correct temp for Rover V8

Post by Daimler »

I am glad to have found this forum. I have just registered, and this is my first post.

Seven months ago I bought a 1968 Daimler 250 that had had a long engine conversion to a reconditioned alloy Rover 3.5 V8 a few years before.

It has been running very well; however, last week both engine mounts broke at rush hour in the middle of traffic in Brisbane. It was quite an adventure to say the least!

I have had the mounts replaced with much better ones, but things aren't quite the same. The power steering is sticky after the engine landed on it. The choke doesn't have the same range. And the temperature only reads 50, except occasionally when I am in traffic it climbs to 90 and then quickly falls as soon as I move off.

At the age of 45 I am new to the hobby of mechanics. I am delighted to finally own the car of my dreams, and I hope to learn as much about it as possible.

So, my first question is: Can anyone please give me guidance about this temperature issue? I'd be very grateful.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Welcome!

We have a poster called RobRover with a very nice 4.6 Rover P6. He is in Brisbane too, and I am sure will have some answers.

But in general, there are lots of different temperature thermostats across the various applications of the engine.

In my Landie for example, I don't know the 'stat temperature, but the engine runs between about 85 and 105 degC.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Assuming the gauge is reasonably accurate, there can only be one reason for the engine running cool - a failed thermostat. They are cheap and easy to replace. Change the coolant at the same time if you don't know when it was last done using the correct anti-freeze to prevent corrosion.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Daimler

Post by Daimler »

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate everything I am learning. I am actually in Toowoomba which is about 90 minutes west of Brisbane in the mountains. So I was away from home in Brisbane when my engine mounts failed. Fortunately, I was within 10 km of the car's old mechanic and so the RACQ gave me a free tow.

I am embarrassed to say that I discovered that the reason for the odd temperature reading was that the wire to the temp sensor had come off. I popped it back on and the gauge is reading like it used to.

It usually runs at about 90 and creeps up to 100 when standing for too long. It seems to get unhappy above that. From what I can tell this is in the right ball park.

Obviously, everything was stretched a bit when the engine came adrift. The choke isn't right. I don't have the range on it that I used to. I am trying to work out how to get the right RPMs on that now.

One step at a time...

Thanks again.

Return to “Cooling Area”