water temp sensor sd1 v8

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

water temp sensor sd1 v8

Post by mcmental »

Can anyone tell me where the sensor is please as I can't see it, its probably staring me in the face!!

Cheers

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

On an EFI engine, there are two. One for the dash gauge, one for the EFI.

The gauge one is beside the thermostat/top hose elbow. Exactly where varies by actual engine. Has a single spade connection.

The EFI one is at the front top of the inlet manifold on the nearside. Next to the thermotime switch, which looks similar, but is brown. Has a two pin push on connector. That coolant sensor is usually grey - but don't count on it.

It's best to give the exact SD1 model and year, as there are lots of variations over the production run.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mcmental »

cheers dave, its a sd1 3.5 v8 engine 14 bolt head variant, not sure on actual year as its in my t bucket hotrod.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

mcmental wrote:cheers dave, its a sd1 3.5 v8 engine 14 bolt head variant, not sure on actual year as its in my t bucket hotrod.
Ah. The big snag is so much of these engines mix and match it's difficult to be sure what you have is original. Even on an actual SD1.

Did you find it?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mcmental »

gunna have a look tomorrow dave, ive been busy at work last few days.

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

I actually have three sensors. One under the thermostat housing used for dash gauge with a blade terminal (as per Dave's post), on for EFI readings (as per Dave's post) and one just adjacent to the EFI sensor (not so far used by me).

The third one looks like a simple gauge sensor with a thread terminal. Somewhere I read that the better gauge sender to use is the one adjacent to the EFI sender as it is in the water flow and not down a recess so will try this one when I get my gauges installed.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

The third one is to do with the cold-start. It is connected to the thermotime valve as I recall to permit extra air when the engine is cold.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

richardpope50 wrote:I actually have three sensors. One under the thermostat housing used for dash gauge with a blade terminal (as per Dave's post), on for EFI readings (as per Dave's post) and one just adjacent to the EFI sensor (not so far used by me).

The third one looks like a simple gauge sensor with a thread terminal. Somewhere I read that the better gauge sender to use is the one adjacent to the EFI sender as it is in the water flow and not down a recess so will try this one when I get my gauges installed.
The socket next to the EFI CTS was used for the Thermotime switch on the flapper injection. The Thermotime switch controlled the cold start injector. I thought it was just a plain boss (not drilled and threaded) on later units? I've got a hotwire manifold lying around where this is the case.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mcmental »

Found it!!!

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mcmental »

Found it!!!

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Nope, my third is literally an inch away from the EFI coolant sensor. It's a vertical sensor as is the EFI one. I'll get / post a picture later on today.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Centre sender with black casing is EFI sender, to the right is the third sender and down to the left is the gauge sender with masking tape tag to it.
Richard.

Return to “Cooling Area”