Advice please on Rover sd1 alternative radiator setup?

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

n1tr0_9

Advice please on Rover sd1 alternative radiator setup?

Post by n1tr0_9 »

Im fitting a range rover 3.9 engine into an sd1. Its got to be finished by next Saturday. I have an SD1 carb. rad, but its very grotty and i doubt it will hold pressure. I do have an Alloy rad from a Nissan S14 which is of comparable size, but it is designed to work with an expansion tank not a header tank like the sd1 usually has. My question is.... do you think this setup will work?. Or will it just blow water everywhere and get airlocks etc.

The other question is whether to use the range rover pipes which have a filler tower on the return from the heater matrix to the water pump. I had planned to, but its so much higher than the pressure cap on the rad im not sure if it will cause problems?

SD1 rad is core size approx 610x440mm and 30mm thick

Alloy rad is approx 660x360mm and 40mm thick

Radiators. SD1 on left, Nissan on right

Nissan expansion tank

Nissan rad cap which will go to expansion tank

Range rover heater pipes and filler tower

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

I recently uprated the cooling system on my SD1 to an AFCO universal aluminium racing radiator PN AFC80101N fitted with a Toyota Landcruiser bottom radiator hose.

AFCO Universal Radiators are built with two 1" rows for a total core thickness of 2-1/4" and feature 3" tanks. The U-channels on top and bottom of the AFCO universal radiators provide numerous mounting options for fans and fan shrouds.

http://shop.rocketindustries.com.au/products/AFC80101N

I fitted with some custom brackets that I made from angle aluminium and it keeps things much cooler than the old 3 core SD1 radiator used to.

n1tr0_9

Post by n1tr0_9 »

And did you use the original rover header tank?

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Not heard of anyone having cooling problems on a standard SD1 with the cooling system in good order. Does it have air-con?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

n1tr0_9

Post by n1tr0_9 »

No it doesnt have aircon, its just the only sd1 rad i have is mostly rotten along the bottom and im using the car for drifting next saturday and i wanted to put the nissan rad in as i know its good.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

n1tr0_9 wrote:No it doesnt have aircon, its just the only sd1 rad i have is mostly rotten along the bottom and im using the car for drifting next saturday and i wanted to put the nissan rad in as i know its good.
Yes - understood. I was just wondering why Robrover 'uprated' his system.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

n1tr0_9

Post by n1tr0_9 »

Ahh ok. Maybe its because he is in Australia. Its snowing again in Kent and if it stays cold this saturday, maybe i wont even need the rad! lol

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

Yes I did retain the SD1 header tank and also fitted twin thermo fans off a 5 litre V8 Aussie made Ford Falcon AU model c 1999 (the fans are available on ebay) which draw a huge 3000 cfm of air, together with a DCC fan controller from the States. The fans come with an integrated plastic shrowd which is easily cut down and fits on the radiator perfectly. Had to replace the SD1 water pump with a shorter nose Buick item for clearance.

And yes temps can get up as high as 45 degrees C here in the summer, so a worked 4.6 needs a bit more cooling capacity. I also have a 74C thermostat.

Return to “Cooling Area”