Oil cooler cold during operation - cold during air lock

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

DaviesDJ
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Oil cooler cold during operation - cold during air lock

Post by DaviesDJ »

Hi there guys, new to the forum - Hello - My name is Dave, im running a rebuilt TVR 5.0 in a land rover 90 - stage 4 heads - hi rev lifters, standard 3.5 rad with 16 bar oil coler on sandwich plate with inbuilt thermostat (
mocal), on edelbrock 600 carb (needing tuning). Have a querie - only just rebuilt and been taking it for a few short test runs, running nicely to temperature exept on 2 occasions where an air lock occured needing bleeding (then temperature fine). During this period the oill cooler and hose have felt very cool, nothing like engine temperature (oil cooler hoses much cooler than adjacent oil filter), even during the air locks when the temperature gauge almost went into the red, this was the case - Is there a problem with my oil cooler?? Oil pressure is fine, during first start up after fitting the oil cooler there was a couple of seconds before pressure built up (thought that was the cooler bleeding through - it was full of oil). The near overheats during air lock lasted less than 5 minutes. Shouldn't the oil cooler at least feel as warm as the engine? Or am i just showing my inexperience??

Running 80 degree thermostat on coolant side - requested from oil cooler vendor (ebay) 80 degree oil thermostat (i believe - nil to confirm on thermostat plate). What do you think guys???

Spent so much on trial and error!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I would suspect the oil-cooler thermostat was stuck closed, assuming it has one.if it doesn't have one then the thing could be blocked (it would then bypass through the filter bypass), if it was air in the system then you would not have oil pressure.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

DaviesDJ
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by DaviesDJ »

It does have one, man who sold it to me says 80c. Bearing in mind the engine had never been run for mOre that 1/2 hour and not under heavy load, could the coolant be hotter earlier than the oil???

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I would suspect the 'stat then, sort of thing that does not like being left it, siezes up as soon as. . . .
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Jono FD3 »

could be the engine isn't run long enough, not sure how long it takes to get the oil hot on the v8, but on my old cav lump it took ages to heat up.... and there shoulf be a bypass in the cooler if there is a stat, just to keep the oil running through the system.

Jono

DaviesDJ
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by DaviesDJ »

That's the advice I've been given- that it takes longer to heat the oil up then the coolant- does this sound right??- thanks for your input guys, great and friendly forum!

Denis247
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Denis247 »

With the engine in the TVR it may have needed the oil cooler. Perhaps now it's in a bigger engine bay it doesn't.
Lotus Elite 4.6 Spydersport 'Donington' conversion

teamidris
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by teamidris »

Plenty of air around it in the 90 and a big hole in the front to cool the sump. So a short run shouldn't really open the stat?

Oil is normally slower than the water, as water is wrapped around the hot bits. But there is quite a difference between nicely warmed up oil and 80, which will need some work to achieve :)

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

In my experience water temp always rises faster than oil temp, it may be that your just not working the engine hard enough to raise the oil temp thus opening the oil thermostat, as mentioned already the LR as a big cool engine bay :D
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

DaviesDJ
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by DaviesDJ »

many thanks guys, every day is a school day. :-)

DaviesDJ
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by DaviesDJ »

Eureka - went for a long run - oil cooler opened and was lovely and warm - turns out it takes much more time for oil to heat up then the coolent.
Thanks for all your help guys!

Return to “Cooling Area”