New water pump question

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

truckdoctor
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

New water pump question

Post by truckdoctor »

Can't seem to find a water pump for a 1968 rover v8 p5b, any good supliers known by anyone please?

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Isnt this the same pump as MGB V8, Morgan 8, pre SD1 front cover type ??

Can you show a pic of the pump?

Perry

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

truckdoctor
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by truckdoctor »

I think it could be the same.
The one on the right is the one fitted but with knackered bearings, the left pump was an original Leyland pump and leaked like a seive and was dumped.
Steve

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

P5B & P6B use the same pump, which is the one you have. The one on the RHS in the pic of two is what is sold as a "High Volume Pump" by one of the well known suppliers, because it has double the number of vanes as the standard item.

truckdoctor
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by truckdoctor »

harvey wrote:P5B & P6B use the same pump, which is the one you have. The one on the RHS in the pic of two is what is sold as a "High Volume Pump" by one of the well known suppliers, because it has double the number of vanes as the standard item.
I wonder who is the well known supplier please? because I would like to replace it with a high volume type.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I would go for the one on the left, it looks a far better design, a proper flair transition into the impellers, a better gap between the centre bearing bit and the whole thing is made of ally.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

truckdoctor wrote:
harvey wrote:The one on the RHS in the pic of two is what is sold as a "High Volume Pump" by one of the well known suppliers, because it has double the number of vanes as the standard item.
I wonder who is the well known supplier please? because I would like to replace it with a high volume type.
J R Wadham.

But I tend to agree with:

kiwicar wrote:Hi
I would go for the one on the left, it looks a far better design, a proper flair transition into the impellers, a better gap between the centre bearing bit and the whole thing is made of ally.
Best regards
Mike
Although for slightly different reasons, in that I've never found the standard one to be lacking in any way if the rest of the system is up to spec.

Stina

Post by Stina »

Hi Steve , i got mine from JR Waddams about 18 months ago , no probs . Worth considering replacing the troublesome long bolts that go through the timing case with threaded stainless rod and nuts . No problems with snapped bolts in the future . Only down side is rad has to come out to remove water pump .
Stina
Edit . Thinking back got loads of other bits from waddams , but the pump came from Rimmer brothers .
Last edited by Stina on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Girls like V8s too !

truckdoctor
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by truckdoctor »

Stina wrote:Hi Steve , i got mine from JR Waddams about 18 months ago , no probs . Worth considering replacing the troublesome long bolts that go through the timing case with threaded stainless rod and nuts . No problems with snapped bolts in the future . Only down side is rad has to come out to remove water pump .
Stina[/quoteThanks for that,good idea. The anoying thing is that I had the pump off recently to polish it and the bearings were OK then, hardly done any miles and they arenow rumbling away like a heard of elephants. Ordered a new pump from MG hive £59.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

It's far more likely the 1/4" bolts will shear than the long 5/16ths ones. But if you use thread sealer, they shouldn't seize.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Cooling Area”