General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

jimbob
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

EFI 3.9 Water Pumps

Post by jimbob »

Gents,

looking around there's heaps of different prices for the above water pump, would like to give britpart and others a miss, but any experience with QH or Airtex, quite like the Airtex as it has a cast bronze impeller.

But any other ideas, looked at jegs.com seem a bit heavy on the P&P

Thanks,

James

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

On my SD1 EFI, I've had four replacement waterpumps. Only one had impeller failure - all the rest just leaked.

I'd happily pay extra for a type which could be stripped and new bearings and seals fitted easily.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

jimbob
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jimbob »

Snap, that's whats happening to mine, used a screwdriver last night and could hear the bearings chasing up down with the revs, sounded like thye were using sand as lubricant.

Checked it when its was cool, used a little water, started and the water pump squeal for a minute of so, so so difficult to get behind to check the seal.

Cheapest I've found is 15 squids, most expensive 230 squids.

Id pay more like you say for a DIY repairable pump.

jimbob
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jimbob »

Just picked up a Airtex pump, exactly the same marking as the OEM Land Rover one, saved myself a small fortune.

Hopefully this one will perform a little better as its a cast bronze impeller, against the pressed steel one on the old one.

Time will tell i suppose.

jimbob
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jimbob »

Replaced the water-pump, engine runs well now, no more thermal run away.

Decided on taking the old pump into the workshop today.

Just to see if I could remove the collar, and check out the bearings & seal, you can get the end off pretty easy, used some nitrogen and a little heat / bearing puller, but, the interface fit is tight so much so you end up tearing up the journal.

The pattern part one with the pressed steel impeller, had bearings from some hung dung Chinese bearing company.

Return to “Cooling Area”