chevy 355 plumbing help

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ChevYota

chevy 355 plumbing help

Post by ChevYota »

Hi guys, I hope you can help me, after a bit of wandering around tinterweb land sourcing answers i am even more confused than when I first set out lol

header tank.....expansion tank.....overflow tank ...??

some websites show these as being one and the same thing but on others it contradicts this opinion. I have formed the opinion that as my engine gets hotter it does need somewhere for the water to expand to. I have looked on ebay and found header/expansion tanks but these have more than two pipes on them ? Now this is where I need some clarification from you guys.... the overflow pipe on the neck of my radiator is allowing water to escape when under pressure (due to expansion so ive read) now if thats the case should there be only one pipe to go to an expansion tank ? Ie from the rad filler neck. There appears to be a larger inlet pipe on some of the header tanks, where would that go ?

All I have at the moment is a ally radiator and thats it

The cooling system seems to be a bit of a strange thing to get ya head around if your unfamiliar with it. Is there a book "cooling system plumbing for dummies" just like there is for web page design :-)

I need some help guys please, I cant burn anymore money building up my stock pile of useless clutter that dont fit or work, I am running out of places to hide it

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

Welcome to the nuthouse,
Firstly, what sort of rad is it, has it a cap, if so what type, the type of tank will be dictated by the type if rad you have
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

ChevYota

Post by ChevYota »

ian.stewart wrote:Welcome to the nuthouse,
Firstly, what sort of rad is it, has it a cap, if so what type, the type of tank will be dictated by the type if rad you have
Hi Ian the rad is Ally and the cap is rated at 15lbs

ChevYota

Post by ChevYota »

damn and I thought you guys would be bombarding me with good advice on what to do :lol:

Return to “Cooling Area”