Chevy cooling

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Chevy cooling

Post by kev_the_mole »

Does it matter generally whether you suck or push through the Chevy block?

I only ask because my 383 cools well (now) but a friend who has just fitted my old NOS Jegs pump that is the opposite way and has serious overheating.

Cheers,

Ian

It's an engine Jim.....but not as we know it ;)

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

I guess it depends on the water jacket and route design, but normally the water is pushed through the block then up and through the head as the heating of the water aids the flow. If you try and do it in reverse the coolant will be heated up in the heads and will try and resist being forced down through the block so flow may be reduced.

Just guessing here but I think that's the case, exactly the same as why you pump hot coolant into the top of the radiator, as it cools it feeds down easier so the bottom hose is going to have the coolest liquid to get rid of.

It does depend on what sort of tract the coolant has to take in the block though...

Can your friend reverse the impeller of the pump then flip the wiring to make it run the right way?
TC

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hello Ian
the gen 1 series SBC engines were designed to do as Tom says and push the water through the block, the later gen2 LT series were the other way, I believe there was an extra drilling in the back of the block and in each end of each head to help clear air pockets in the later engines (obviously only one drilling in the head would matvch up with the block). You also need an LT water pump to make it work, if you spin a gen 1 one backwards it cavitates.
So in answer yes you can but there is more to it than just spinning the water pump the other way to get it to work properly.
Best regrads
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Cooling Area”