RV8 cooling pipe questions!!

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

RV8 cooling pipe questions!!

Post by Jono FD3 »

Hi guys, I've just dropped the 3.5 in the drift truck and found out I can't run the heater system as the pipes sit directly behind the left hand head and has 10mm clearance!
Soooooo what I want to ask is.... I take it the coolant flow for the heater comes from the vertical pipe cast into the output of the water pump, through the heater matrix then back in to the rear of the manifold??? Now would I be OK in blanking these off as they are not required, or do I need to pipe from the water pump directly to the manifold to maintain the flow???

Cheers
Jono

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Pretty sure you can just blank them off, if I am wrong someone will be along very shortly to correct me.
#Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

There are more heater connection options than you can shake a stick at, depending on the engine type and what vehicle it was installed in.

FWIW, my SD1 with air-con switches off the water feed to the heater when AC is selected, via a vacuum controlled valve, so it can't do any harm.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: RV8 cooling pipe questions!!

Post by ChrisJC »

Jono FD3 wrote: I take it the coolant flow for the heater comes from the vertical pipe cast into the output of the water pump, through the heater matrix then back in to the rear of the manifold??? Now would I be OK in blanking these off as they are not required, or do I need to pipe from the water pump directly to the manifold to maintain the flow???

Cheers
Jono
Other way around. But you can blank them off, provided you have the thermostat bypass correctly connected up.

I shut that flow off in my Landie when I want cold air from the heater.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

I would think you should connect them up and have a restrictor in place (1 - 2mm hole) to allow air and steam pockets to circulate and get out the system

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Ian Anderson wrote:I would think you should connect them up and have a restrictor in place (1 - 2mm hole) to allow air and steam pockets to circulate and get out the system

Ian
Theoretically, the thermostat bypass circuit and heater circuit are in parallel, so provided one is open, that will do.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Cooling Area”