SD1 pully conversion for shortwaterpump??

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

SD1 pully conversion for shortwaterpump??

Post by Jono FD3 »

Guys, I've been wondering, has anyone made a pully so that you can run the short P5/P6 waterpump but keep the SD1 bottom pully and aulternator? Basicaly (as far as I can see) all it would mean is to have a dish machined in to the pump pully to bring the drive inline with the bottom pully...... has this been done before??

Jono

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

You could be adding way too much stress to the pump bearings with that offset.
Cheers,
John

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Jono FD3 »

Alloy pully would be light enough to not stress the pump??
What sort of difference is there in the position of the pully between the P5 and the SD1?

Jono

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

It's not the weight of the pulley but the force exerted by the belt you should be concerned about. The further away from the bearing the greater the force on the bearing.

Having said that I reversed and spaced my serp pulley to line up with my supercharger pulley. I did this knowing it would greatly reduce the life of the waterpump. I have since changed the pulley arrangement back to standard (for other reasons) but it ran fine when it was spaced.

I figured the water pump bearings are also designed to hold the viscus fan so 'should' be over engineered! :shock:

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Jono FD3 »

Was going to say that I'm not running the mechanical blender on the front of it, so that will reduce the strain again!

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

it would need to be a custom pulley and I think the pump will fail as well with the stress cause by the belt. Its sits quite a bit further out. Is there a reason you cant use the SD1 pump? its a straight bolt on to the P5-6 front cover.

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

I'm running a short nose Buick pump with a standard sd1 crank pulley underneath. I used a 1964 EH Holden pump pulley which lines up just right - can get off ebay.com.au or online from one of the many Aussie classic Holden stores such as Rare Spares.

Return to “Cooling Area”