Blanking manifold rear outlet connection

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

BenL

Post by BenL »

Cheers for reply, the heater shouldn't be a problem as the P6 heater works by mixing the hot and cold air streams together rather than cutting off the flow through the matrix.

I suppose what I'm not entirely clear about (and it seems to be the main source of confusion for all) is what direction the flow through the ports at the rear of the pump is.

It seems to me that if the hot feed to the heat matrix is from the manifold which is a flow connection i.e. feeding hotwater from the engine to the heater (and to the main rad) then the pipes on the back of pump must be returns (or suckers).

EDIT: Just looked at the photo of the engine with pump removed above and I suppose from this it's obvious that they must be returns (or suckers)

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Certainly on the 4x4 style timing cover, both ports on the back of the pump are returns. One is for the heater circuit, one is for the thermostat bypass. As already mentioned, one may be blanked off as they changed the plumbing a few times.

I can't be 100% sure, but I expect the car type timing covers are the same in that the ports on the water pump are both returns.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

You are correct - the only flows are into each side of the block - all hose connections to the water pump are returns

Andrew
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

TVRleigh
Getting There
Getting There

Post by TVRleigh »

Darkspeed wrote:You are correct - the only flows are into each side of the block - all hose connections to the water pump are returns

Andrew
Is this correct that the pump with stat closed, pumps water into both sides of the block, and then this is returned, via a return feed.

Is this also why the Serp. front cover has a remote thermostat, as there are no returns on the later front cover.
Current V8 car TVR 400SE 240 BHP
Current Project TVR Tasmin Race, with 3.9 running at 230 BHP
Currently building a 4.6 300 BHP Xbolted Engine for it. Solid Lifters and Group A rockers, Stange 4 heads, Pocketed piston, fully balanced.

elsponge
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by elsponge »

G'day guys - I'm just putting a RV8 into a clubman and the two ports on the back of the water pump are open currently. Thanks to the posts above, I now know that they are return ports (cheers lads), and as a clubbie really has no use for a heater I guess that means that all I need to do is connect the thermostat bypass to one and block off the other?

If I've got this wrong, please let me know.

Thanks,
Chris.

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

elsponge, that's correct.

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

The remote thermosat on the later engines has the bypas and heater returns on the same side of the thermostat as the return to the pump.

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

Return to “Cooling Area”