Serp waterpump flow rate

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Ducting isnt about slowing air down, it's about directing air, and ensuring none escapes around the sides.

And you only need a fraction of the frontal area, because the tubes and fins take up a huge portion of that area, so actually very little is required for airflow, relatively speaking.

As with water flow, I would disagree about airflow. You want more airflow. That's why the radiator cools easier at 100mph than it does at 10mph. More airflow.

And if you add your slow airflow to a thick core....you're going to be passing lots of very hot air over those rear sections. That will not cool effectively.
You want lots of airflow, and lots will mean faster.

I do agree that suckers are more efficient, but it certainly doesnt mean pushers cannot be used.

As for temp sensor....many options, or not many. Ultimately you want engine temperature stable, what temperature the radiator ends up...who cares really.

But a few places can be used, but ultimately you need to monitor engine temperature and ensure it remains stable regardless of where the fan switch is. This can be seen, as even OEM have fitted them in all sorts of places over the years, but now all use the engine temp sensor via the ecu to control fans.

Thick cores are always less efficient than thin. You end up passing hot air over the rearmost tubes. That is not the most efficient way to cool.
Always large frontal area and thin for best efficiency...again, look at most OEM

However...the problem lies in finding room for that frontal area. So in those cases we are forced to use thicker cores to get the cooling required because of limited frontal.
But thick cores are absolutely not the most efficient option.

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

As I said, my points were for a se7en car and were the results of several visits to several radiator manufacturers to get the design right. At least my engine keeps nice and cool now.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

Return to “Cooling Area”