Radiator question

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Sammy

Radiator question

Post by Sammy »

Hi,

I have a radiator which I bought ages ago for my v8 locost, however there is a 16mm pipe connector in the middle on one side which I have no idea what it is for - am I OK to just block it off?

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
that sounds like a yes to me, you might want to stick a tap/plug on the end of it so you can use it to help get the air out of the cooling system but if you can't remember what it should attach to then it is most likely not important.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Sammy

Post by Sammy »

Thanks for the reply. I bought the radiator because it was the biggest size that would fit in my (RV8) locost, I don't even know what engine the radiator is supposed to be for. Anyway I'll block it off, I now just need to work out all the other pipework!!

Cheers
Sammy

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Radiator question

Post by stevieturbo »

Sammy wrote:Hi,

I have a radiator which I bought ages ago for my v8 locost, however there is a 16mm pipe connector in the middle on one side which I have no idea what it is for - am I OK to just block it off?
yes, but sounds like it was provision for a remote header tank fill point.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Or a fitting for a radiator fan switch

Yes some people run it from an engine temp sensor, but the water in the radiator may be at a very different temperature to the engine
Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Sammy

Re: Radiator question

Post by Sammy »

stevieturbo wrote:
Sammy wrote:Hi,

yes, but sounds like it was provision for a remote header tank fill point.
That's the only thing I could think of, so I guess blocking it off won't cause any problems.

Sammy

Post by Sammy »

Ian Anderson wrote:Or a fitting for a radiator fan switch

Yes some people run it from an engine temp sensor, but the water in the radiator may be at a very different temperature to the engine
Ian
It does have a fan switch already fitted near the top of the radiator (which is great as I am fitting an electric fan), and it is a definitely a hose connector.

Return to “Cooling Area”