remote servo

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

crayefish
Getting There
Getting There

Post by crayefish »

kiwicar wrote:If you are going all disc then it should be possable, I am assuming you are of reasonably "robust" build to be contemplating this :D . You will need large discs 315 front 280 back minimum if you run 2wd, 315 all round for perminant 4Wd, to make the most of your pedal effort and probably 4pot calipers all round, but carfully worked out then it should be do-able.
best regards
Mike
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I am pretty good technically and build wise. All I need is to get my hands on a pirate copy of Abaqus so I can do some FEA on the parts! :D Or when my PhD starts, use the college computers. the main problem will be fabricating the brackets to mount the calipers and the bell to mount the discs and fitting it to the axle

I've spoke to AP racin gand they have suggested front and rear calipers for me. 4 pots. Also he said it would be best to use disc smaller than the 320mm which are meant for the calipers due to me having 16 inch wheels.

Zander

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

crayefish wrote:Anyone know whether its possible to remove the servo from a heavy car (roughly 2 tonnes) such as a landy and still have good brakes if the master cylinders were of the correct size?

Once the V8 is in, I am planning to build my own disc brake system using AP racing parts inc. double master cylinder + balance bar
Yes, but ultimately it's a leverage system. So you could make the master cylinder have a smaller dia, or the slaves have a larger dia, to boost brake effort. The downside would be increased pedal travel......

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

crayefish
Getting There
Getting There

Post by crayefish »

ChrisJC wrote:
crayefish wrote:Anyone know whether its possible to remove the servo from a heavy car (roughly 2 tonnes) such as a landy and still have good brakes if the master cylinders were of the correct size?

Once the V8 is in, I am planning to build my own disc brake system using AP racing parts inc. double master cylinder + balance bar
Yes, but ultimately it's a leverage system. So you could make the master cylinder have a smaller dia, or the slaves have a larger dia, to boost brake effort. The downside would be increased pedal travel......

Chris.
Couldn't be worse than the pedal travel I have now! Plus they 'bleed' down so they have to be re-pressed every 4 seconds or so if I'm waiting at traffic lights, or sometimes pumped a second time for hard breaking... :?
Zander

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

The wheel size is an issue, but the ones I have surgested fit in with what AP recommend for 16" wheels. However discs need to be big because they are the only way of gaining effective mechanical advantage without needing more pedel travel.
Various 7 type kit car manufacturers can be a good source of twin master cylinder pedel boxes.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

crayefish
Getting There
Getting There

Post by crayefish »

Thanks mate. Thats something to consider for when I get round to building it. It prob wont be for a year or so.... I wana get the V8 finished and in first, however I'll have plenty of time to design and analyse it.
Zander

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”