General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

HiSpec SVA SPOT Caliper

Post by Ralphh85 »

http://www.hispecbrake.co.uk/calipers/sva_spot.htm

anyone have any experience with these? (see link)

im running a front brake setup ont he rear so probly gonna use these.

my only other option is to put a set of rear calipers ont he car off a difference vihical but the trouble thne is i can only run single disks, there as the spot caliper would allow vented.

my only worry is they will not be very powerful, i should never need to but its nice to think the handbrake can lock the rear wheels.

Ralph

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

A couple of GT40s used these or the same thing from Willwoods - one passed and the other failed as they reconed it did not have enough grip for the weight of the car.

I ised the calipers of the Saab 2000 (I think) front calipers on this car have the handbrake built in Works on vented discs

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

i have herd nothign but bad about wilwood, tho they are cheaper. also the wilwood does not have a cable retainign thing?

would be good to hear from someone who has used one??

trouble is saab bits will be hard to find, shitron BX's had front hand brakes but donno if they had vented disks or if they are exchangable as thye had the weird braking/suspention/steering system.

Ralph

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

a few of us capri guys, note i said a few before i get shot down,
have had problems with the wilwood calipers flexing under heavy braking.
so i dont like them, they may of overcome this problem now, but i doubt i will use them again.

have you thought about 4x4 sierra or granada, they use vented discs ot the rear and also cable handbrake

Granada vented rear discs and caliper on the back of my capri,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

From quite alot of reading around and talking to those who have used them, willwood are good value for light weight cars, sevens and smaller kits, as you get to heavier cars with bigger tyre contact patches they get less popular. In the US they get slated, seem to be used on Nascar but from what appears or Ebay they get changed every race.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

the trouble is....

std caliper runs in front of the disk, if i replace it with a rear caliper (with handbrake) the handbrake cable tends to go in a stupid direction, either stright back in tot he cv joint (because ont he rear there is usually no drive) or in towards the center of the car which means it hits the engine.

there it little room to mounts a big caliper on the back of the disk as i have a track rod there, top and bottom would clash with the ball joints.

so the spot caliper would make sense as i can run the good caliper matching the front on the back, and the spot would probly fit in and clear the trackrod etc.

any feed back on the HiSpec spot calipers at all?

Ralph

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Thinking out the box now
What does the front have on it and could you put the handbrake on the front wheels?

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

fronts identical to the rear but with no drive shafts and has a steering rack.

dont think it makes it any easyer, most rear calipers are smaller so wouldnt be soutable for the front.

Ralph

csr
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by csr »

Have had some dealings with the Willwood spot caliper - absolute garbage.

Would think the Hi-Spec caliper to be designed with the failings of Willwood in mind. (Geof used to use Willwood untill he got fed up with the problems)
I would go with it If it was my decision.

Just some of what we do

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”