Problem with Range Rover Air Suspension

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ptjs1

Problem with Range Rover Air Suspension

Post by ptjs1 »

Hi. I wonder if anyone can give me any advice on a problem that I seem to have on my 94 Classic Range Rover. For some months now, the compressor for the air suspension seems to be running a lot of the time. Almost every time I come to rest, I can hear the compressor running following by the little sighing noise (a blow-off valve?) as it finishes. The car seems to run fine, the suspension seems to work fine, dropping at 56mph and being able to be lowered and raised when at rest.

I don't seem to have any obvious leaks in the springs. The car doesn't settle right down unless it hasn't been used for at least 2 or 3 days. Is there any obvious reason why the compressor seems to want to run so much or is there anything obvious that I can check?

Tks

Paul

Paul
Classic Range Rover 3.9 LPG

task
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by task »

Although you have no obvious leaks I would have said this is an air leak issue.

Coil it :)

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Check on one of the Landie forums - I imagine there are well known weakness in the system.

Don't coil it!, air is much better.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

it sounds like a leak to me, my clasic on air springs was OK for atleast 2 weeks when left, only settling down when lowered when parked. They are simple to take appart and overhaul once you have them off the car.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

RangieMatt

Post by RangieMatt »

if I recall correctly, there is a seal on the compressor which breaks down meaning the compressor starts to run more and more to keep the pressure, and eventually the compressor will wear itself out. Check on Landy Forums, but I'm fairly sure thats what it sounds like.
1991 Range Rover Vogue 3.9 EFI

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”