General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

kokkolanpoika
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

sd1 track control arm proplem..

Post by kokkolanpoika »

Hi..

I have got SD1 82- V8 and i have got proplems with my track control arm. LH side usually (2nd arm in 3year). I use rimmer bros arms, and they wear out about 10 000km /6300miles -20000km/12500miles. RH side arm is rover original part, drived about over 50000km/31250miles. No proplem yet.
Just thinking is those rimmer arms equipment (non original) parts?
My local carage just found original rover arm his carage, and i buy it.

Has anyone ever try to fix those arms in home? I just thinking if i fit some els car balljoint that arm.? :shock: What are you think about that?

Timo

softdash3.9
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by softdash3.9 »

Hi Timo
Ive changed the arms at home, a little awkward but OK to do :!:

Getting both arms onto the ARB bar and refitting them into the subframe with the front struts attached is interesting/taxing :evil:

Changing the ball joint in the track arm, is a naughty No No, don't go there, remember it is a safety critical item :shock:

Speaking as an ex test & dev engineer working on vehicle suspension durability :wink:

Armm should be now plentiful now Rimmer have brought lots of stock back from India.

Other companies(other than the Rover OEM) did manufacture Track control arms so maybe the quality may vary
Regards
Royston

kokkolanpoika
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by kokkolanpoika »

Thanks..

Yes i´m also change those arms at home, But i just thinking if i change those ball joint at home.. But i think my life is important than stupid ball joint.. :D

I will contackt to Rimmer again..
Timo

ramon alban
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by ramon alban »

Its just possible that your problem is due to the suspension bolts and nuts being finally tightened whilst the car is in the raised position with suspension hanging down.

It would be an easy mistake to make.

I believe that they should be tightened after the car is sitting on its wheels in a resting position.

This way the suspension joints are all centralised before tightening.

Just a thought.

Ramon

softdash3.9
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by softdash3.9 »

You are correct Ramon :wink: should be on the at normal ride height and fasteners "Loose" before bolts not pulled upfinal torquing/tightening (ball joint could be fastened)

Hope the info helps :)
Regards
Royston

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”