Making Brake Pipes - HELP!!!!

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

LazyDocker

Making Brake Pipes - HELP!!!!

Post by LazyDocker »

Please don't laugh everyone but I'm having a plot loss!!! It's about 8 years since I last had to make a metal brake pipe and I've forgotten how to do the flared ends!! I even had to buy a new kit as I've misplaced mine in the various moves!!!

I've got the kit but I just can't remember how to do it!! :oops: :oops: :oops: I've got the yoke, flaring tool and 7 dies.... Just can't seem to get it right!! Please help as I've got to get it done tomorrow and I'm sure it's me making a silly mistake!!

Thanks all in advance!! :? :? :?

Pocket rocket
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Pocket rocket »

Deburr & clean the ends of the pipe, then clamp it in the "holder" (vice) with the shoulder just below the edge of the vice.

Check which die fits the hole in the pipe - screw the tool in so that it pushes the die into the end of the clamped pipe which will then be forced into a chamfered end. this is a male end.

If you want a female end, the next step is to discard the die and again screw in the tool which will then flare out your chamfered end.

the above supposes acheaper set but if you have the more expensive sets, the whole apparatus will clamp in a bench vice but will follow roughly the same procedure.

Apologies in advance if I've missed something obvious out - it's easy to visualise in your head but harder to explain in detail, especially if you don't know the type of equipment that the other person is using

LazyDocker

Post by LazyDocker »

Thanks very much.... It's like someone turned on the lights!!! You have just reminded me and got me ready for tomorrow's repairs!!! :idea: :wink:

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”