modern paint

General Chat About Body & Strengthening

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

modern paint

Post by kiwicar »

Hi this is I hope a simple question, with modern paint, two part systems of a colour base coat and a clear coat about how much area does a litre of each cover?
Many thanks in advance
Mike

poppet valves rule!

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

what is the base coat solid/mica or metalic?

As a guide here is the figures for the paint I use which is lechler.

Acrifan clear coat 1lt mixed is 7.5 sqm per coat 25 micron thick.
Base coat solid is 9 sqm per coat 20 micron thick.
Mica base coat is the same as normal base.

These are theoretical and depends how good the spray gun is and how much ends up in the air. I would count on a good bit less specially if it isnt HVLP being used.

Minimum coats in my experiance are:

Clear 1 light coat 2 normal coats. This is the minimum and if you intend to sand and polish the top add an extra 2 coats mimimum
solid 1 light coat 2 normal coats assuming you have the right colour primer.
mica 1 light coat 2 normal minimum often 3 normal coats again assuming the right primer.

Roughly you need 3 lt of each unmixed for an average car unless its a colour change where you will need more for door checks, inside doors, under bonnet and all that.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Thanks Marki
this is briliant info, I am just trying to put together an idea of what the rest of the Mclaren is going to cost me, the plan is to use a fairly simple colour scheme of single colour on all the fiberglass panels but use a good modern paint system and leave the ally as it is. Fortunatly ther is not a huge area.
Many thanks
Mike
poppet valves rule!

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

really depends if you want solid colour or pearl/metalic but if its solid colour I would save the money and use a 1 coat system and not base coat clear. Course it all depends on if you can get the paints too as cellulose, 2K except clear and normal base coat are all banned now. Pretty much everything barring water base is getting harder to get as stocks run out. I haven't ever painted with water base but my supplier reckons I shouldn't have too much trouble even without an oven although I will only be able to paint in the summer 15 deg C minimum.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

oh things have changed! it clearly has been a long time since I sprayed anything!
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Body & Strengthening”