sd1 pick up

General Chat About Body & Strengthening

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

sd1 pick up

Post by bones »

Hi all. im just wondering ,how difficult would it be to turn an sd1 rover into a pick-up, after seeing that one on e-bay, I forgot about doing this some years back but seeing the white one has got me thinking again, all advice welcome :D rich

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

Hi Rich,

I agree about that SD1 ute, It looked cool. As regards strengthening I'll have a good look & think & I'll get back to you with my ideas. :)

PS

Did you sort your oil pump?

Ged

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Go for it Rich! It probably would be cheaper to have bought the one on ebay tho! Why don't you just make a tubular lattice frame that fits inside the skin on the sides of the pick up back that ties it all in nice and strong to the cab?

TC

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

Hi Ged and TC, hopefully the oil pump is soughted ish, Ive been looking at those pics again, maybe a rollcage with braces going to the back of the car will help, :?, found a place to get a roll cage kit from. how difficult would it be turning it into a pick up, :) rich

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

Ok im dragging this up again folks, need some advice, for the rear bulkhead of cab could it be done in 2 parts??, and what is the best way of strengthening it??, and its got a sunroof and i want to get rid of it ,how easy is it to weld it up without distorting the roof??, i think thats it for know :D rich

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

The sun roof can be closed with a steel panel without distorting, it has been done loads of times, what you need however is a panel the right profile, I will bet it is a compound panel so you will need access to an english wheel, secondly you will need good metal to weld to, often the area around the sun roof and frame is not so good so your first job will be to make good any steel around it. You will probably need to tig as this will introduce the least heat to the panels and you will have to do it in very short sections, yo will also have to hammer dress the welds as you go.
I don't know where you have got on this project but virtually all the BL cars of the period used the roof as a stressed panel, have you got it on some sort of chassis jig? have you thought about how you will stiffen the car once you have chopped the roof off. There may be implications for the new SVA replacment as you will be viewed as having substantially altered the chassis and body style.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

ive done nothing to the car as yet, just need to find out about it, i thought of welding the rear doors inside and out, and making the rear part of the cab and fixing in before the roof is cut off, and making some sought of rollcage to strengthen it up,once the roof is off, :? rich

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Rich, if you bought a few lengths of nice lightweight CDS steel tube you could build a spaceframe into the car, tieing in all the crucial areas. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the body too much, you could also make the spaceframe the right shape for the pickup back and panel around it to hide it a bit. You would have a very rigid truck then! Do you intend to use the buck or just for show?

TC

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

Hi TC, the only thing going in the back would be a nitrous bottle , just used for street and strip,so not to bothered about it being pretty, i can get some cds tubing :) rich

v8trev
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by v8trev »

Return to “Body & Strengthening”