Help with my dodgy V8 Capri conversion would be appreciated!

General Chat About Body & Strengthening

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Loz V8 Capri

Help with my dodgy V8 Capri conversion would be appreciated!

Post by Loz V8 Capri »

Hello,
Any help anyone can give me would be fantastic as my experience with conversions is nil.
I bought a Capri with a 3.5 Rover V8 AUTO installed a couple of weeks ago only to find that the conversion was a bad one when I took it to my local garage.
To keep it simple the crossmember has had a big chunk cut out to make way for the sump and engine mounts are placed on a seperate bar conected underneath the chassis rails.
The bar which the engine is resting on turns out to be bending, and the sump is now resting on the severly weakend crossmember!
NOT GOOD I KNOW!
However I now need to fix it and properly. I know that a new crossmember is required and im currently looking at a modified sump which might clear the crossmember.
Apert from that im not really sure what the best method to adopt is? Im guessing the best way would be to have the engine mounted back the crossmember? I have also heard stories that the tunnel needs to be cut out so to raise the gearbox?
Any help would be fantastic, Im not gonna rush it, just as long as its ready for summer!

Thanks again, Loz.

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

Dont PANIC :shock: :shock: , there are plenty of people on here who can help, Pictures would help, But from what I remember custom mounts are availabe to mount the RV8 off the original mounts on the X member, the sump needs to be trilled at the first level back about 3" to clear the X member, there may be a few spare kits kicking about, have a look on Flea bay, they do turn up.

Where abouts are you????

Ian :D
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Hi,
are you the guy that mailed me?
and i mailed you back about contacting caprisport regarding one of there drawing packs for making the mounts up?
not sure what the price is, but one of the guys from CS is a member here, i will point him towards this post mate,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

csr
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by csr »

If you are able to do it and you have the facilities, this is how -

Use a power steerring cross member - modify for manual rack if you wish.
This will put the engine mounts in the right place.

Caprisport made simple strong mounts which fit to the block with all 3 bolts and use the original rubbers.
You might well get some help from someone on here who has done this. If not, talk to Caprisport and get the info pack.

The sump is modified slightly - nothing to serious - the info pack has all the details of this too.

You will need to modify the tunnel to fit a manual gearbox - think the pack has details on that too.

Just some of what we do

Return to “Body & Strengthening”