My first welding attempt!

General Chat About Body & Strengthening

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

My first welding attempt!

Post by chodjinn »

After removing my fuel tank to modify it for EFI (which took about three minutes :)) i noticed a wierd bit of filler near the fuel cap/filler. SO typically me I can't leave owt alone, so started hacking away until a large bit fell away leaving two small holes in my boot floor! Gutted!

Anyway, that was two weeks ago. My housemate 'liberated' some top quality steel from one of his sites, borrowed an arc welder from his dad and sorted the whole thing out in under two hours!

Bah! I hear you cry, too long said the man in the corner! Nay I tell thee, considering all i had to work with was an angle grinder with a knackered masonry cutter and a hammer to bend the steel with lol.

Quite entertaining this mechanic lark isn't it? Well, the hole is all nicely (well, for a first timer) welded and just needs a bit of filler. I did discover the problems of trying to arc weld metal five times thicker than the body your welding to though, resulted in a few extra holes!

Took some pics but ain't loaded them up yet, I'm well chuffed!

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Post by ppyvabw »

Welding rusty metal is such fun isn't it.

For your next lesson, welding rusty metal upside down!!!

That certainly is fun.....and painfull.

And, yes, having the right tools makes the job a lot easier to. Don't think an arc welder was the right thing for the job :lol: Isn't arc welding more for thick plate? Still, if thats the best you could get, you did well.

Welding is one of those things that anyone can learn to do adequately, but to do it professionally and realy well takes years of practice, like spraying.

I'm crap at both :lol: I still have my first piece of welding somewhere from when my old man was building his first kit car and I must have been about 8. Practiced on a bit of scrap.

Return to “Body & Strengthening”