sd1 leaking

General Chat About Body & Strengthening

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

barginbucket
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

sd1 leaking

Post by barginbucket »

hi all,one for the sd1 bods,drivers footwell letting in water,silconed up lower part of windscreen and scuttle,no joy,anyone had this problem and solved it?,sounds a common problem but never heard what the cure is,will be getting the watering can out over the weekend[unless its the same as last one :lol: ] and having a look but thought i'd ask on the off chance someone knows the answer,thankyou

nothing new there then

ramon alban
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: sd1 leaking

Post by ramon alban »

barginbucket wrote:hi all,one for the sd1 bods,drivers footwell letting in water,silconed up lower part of windscreen and scuttle,no joy,anyone had this problem and solved it?,sounds a common problem but never heard what the cure is,will be getting the watering can out over the weekend[unless its the same as last one :lol: ] and having a look but thought i'd ask on the off chance someone knows the answer,thankyou
If you are going to silicon up the windscreen doing the lower half is not enough, you have to do it all around the screen on both sides of the chrome finisher. Also the recesses have to be very clean and very dry before you do it

My local privateer windscreen fitter showed me the trick using BLACK silicon. very neat too.

other points of entry are

Corrosion behind the pedal supports area behind the sound deadening stuff, loads of rust here due to brake fluid overflowing and stripping the paint, and moisture retained by the sound insulation - you just gorra strip it off to find the problem.

There is a drain hole from the bottom of the air intake area into the rear of the engine bay that is covered by a small rubber flap. The drain hole gets blocked with debris and water entering the air intake area spills over into the interior by some unknown path.

Depending upon the attitude/position/routing of some cables (eg cruise control) or vacuum pipes (eg AirCon heater control) from the engine bay into the interior via the bulkhead water from a rainstorm can creep or run down the cables/tubes through the grommets and into the interior.

The sun roof drains at the front are supposed to exit into an area of the sill from where the water can exit to the outside via a drain hole. The rubber tubes can be dislodged during uninformed maintenance and route water into the car interior.

Just above the window at the front edge of the roof is a seam that can rust out and allow water into the A-post. from there it is possible for it to get inside the car depending upon how it finds the downward route.

Good Luck - loads of brand new stuff on my website.

Ramon
http://www.vintagemodelairplane.com

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Drill a hole in the bottom most corner of the footwell

The water will then have an escape route

Unless it is a daily driver - how often would you have it in the rain?

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

barginbucket
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by barginbucket »

thanks ramon will look into all that,she's parked outside all the time ian so she's always battling against the eliments,same as me when i'm working on her :lol: ,thank guys for your interest
nothing new there then

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

that's a pitty but really an escape route for water is not too bad an idea

In the GT40 it rains inside the car in the wet and we certainly have drains! - Yes it is better to stop it getting in but these were never designed to seal so we make do as we can!

In the interim Get a roll of cling film (Tesco cheep an nasty for 40p a roll works well) and cover your widscreen and surrounds when you are leaving it in the rain - will stop any water until you find the cause.

cheers
Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Return to “Body & Strengthening”