BMW 4.4ltr V8 into E36 Saloon..!

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

hmmm, looked on google for pics of the 530i e34 pump, and it looks totally different for the pump you have (pre modification), so will just have to wait to see what it looks like when i take the engine out.

also been reading about how some people reverse the pump and have it hangint out the front of the engine, but surely turning the pump round would also reverse its action?...besides i prefer your method :)

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

looks like i need to make this

but this is for a e30, any idea if there is a difference between the e30 and the e36 loom possition wires ?

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

You can move the pump forward, don't turn it round but you take the shaft out of the pump and turn that around, it will fit in the pump both ways, but the oil ways can be a bit tricky........

My oil pump is total different to the standard v8 pump, X5's have a totally different sump layout, hence the pump differences.......

Don't know about the loom, I just removed the engine stuff from mine and then made a seperate engine loom............

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

yeah, thanks guy, same problem, simmilar solutions, but defo going forward useing your trickery :)

real difference is I'm on a tight budget, so gonna be using the management that comes with the doner.

the diagram i have shows 530 into an e30

so all I need to do now is make sure the e36 is useing the same pins, failing that decipher the e36 pin possitions and modify that chart a tad.

the website that came of is in german, so i google translated it, but it also goes into depth about speed sensors, tacho etc....even to the point saying you need a 4 pot tacho...so thats me quids in already being a 318 :)

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

been standing looking at the engine and the engine bay, scratching my balls, like you do in these situations, then looking at v8 conversions, and I noticed the e30 has a front sump...I dont suppose if you know if the e30 front suspension would fit on a e36?

did you consider this?

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Hello,

Yes did look at fitting different front cross member, 5 series.? e30.? usual stuff but I didn't want to mess up the way the e36 handles, and to be fair it doesn't handle any different to before, except now if I hit loud pedal coming out of a corner or round about it goes sideways very quickly.......

Slowly getting used to it, but it never could spin the 255 I have on the back, but now it light's them up with out even trying to hard............

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

ahh, handling...yup can see where your coming from there...but then considering mines been cut in half, shortened by 300mm, and the weight loading over the whole vehicle changed, so it's not going to drive like a standard Ti anyway....but yup, I bought an e30 crossmember, and it bolted straight on, this has moved the rack backwards, and the ARB is at the rear. Only thing I need to do is that 20mm spacer thingy, so the engine sits lower in the bay, so it sits more level.

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

You'll have to something with the struts as well, as the rack is behind cross member, isn't it..??

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

nope rack is in front, just back a little. I'll have to get it tracked, thats for sure

this is the E30 subframe, as you can see the ARB is at the back, and the rack is at the front (this isnt mine, it's an actual e30)

and here you can see the 20mm spacers that allow the engine to sit level in the bay

this crossmemebr is a direct replacement into the e36, and I've been told I need to use e30 328i wishbones, but i cant see why, as the e36 318i wish bones fitted straight on at all the mounting points with no issues?

oh, and check out this guys solution to the problem :)

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

I did not realise that, cool if you can make that work saves you a lot of work, the last picture, not sure thats safe and I don't think the insurance people would like that kind of modification, that was another reason for doing it my way, I haven't alter the car at all so the insurance was a breeze to sort out.....

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

his steering rack certainly doesnt look safe :)

and LOL painting my mates 318 coupe today and had 1/2 a pot left over,

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

i've cheated ever so slightly

rack sits 2 inches lower, but I still have ample ground clearence, not much good if you have an e36 lowered to the floor, but this is with a 40mm drop.

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Hey, looks good, and coming along well.

Mine sits to low for your rack mod though, I only have about 3" of clearence.

How did the hook up to the column work out, and do you have much room for the exhaust manifolds? Oh and are they standard engine mounting brackets?

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

standard engine mountings, cut of the e30 x member and relocated onto the e36 x member, i'll let you know about the steering hook up, and I'll add pics of the subframe when I'm done stitching it up,,,,i'm just in for summit to eat then I'm back out there again

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

well, I've decided, that even though I'm happy enough with the ground clearence I've got, my mate now wants to v8 his e36 coupe, but his is low, so I was looking and the only real reason the rack couldnt be fitted behind the crossmember is because the steering arms would foul on the wishbones, so I'm looking into making some tubular replacements, shaped to fit over the steering arms. but this also leads to a hell of an angle of dangle between the columb and the rack.......hmmm, perhapse i'd be better to tall him to solve it himself :)

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”