BMW 4.4ltr V8 into E36 Saloon..!

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

ello again mate, I managed to blag me a 1995 530i manual last night so I'm ready to take the plunge

Few questions before I go to mad with it, would you say the standard pump that comes with the engine can be modifed like yours, or do you have to go for a specific pump to cut and shut?

secondly, My car's wiring is standard 1996 318ti, can you give me any pointers on what i need to modify to make it run, or is it just plug and play?

lastly, again with the wiring, my taco is obviously a 4 pot, do I need to do anything to the clocks to run the 8?

Thanks in advance guy

Pawl

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

is a 530 a v8?
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

later ones are, earlier ones are the 6.

hope its an 8 under all these covers :)

Been told the liners melt, and the block is made out of some kinda spaceage chocolate called nikasil....but then, once its in, if it goes bang I can dierectly replace any madifications to a 4.0 and chuck that in.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

beelzebubs wrote:later ones are, earlier ones are the 6.

hope its an 8 under all these covers :)

Been told the liners melt, and the block is made out of some kinda spaceage chocolate called nikasil....but then, once its in, if it goes bang I can dierectly replace any madifications to a 4.0 and chuck that in.
Nikasil is a coating applied directly to an aluminium block. Saves putting a liner in.
Problem is that once the nikasil has gone (high sulphur fuels?), you're running an ali bore, and that doesn't last long!

Jaguar did the same thing.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Most of the nikisil problems were down to supermarket fuel of about 10 years ago, if the engine never saw the stuff then they last a long time. If it did it died pretty quickly. The upshot is if the engine has been running for more than 8 or 9 years then it will be OK because it missed the bad fuel because, the owner never filled up at tesco, if it is less than 7 or 8 years old it never saw the stuff because the problem was recognised and changes were made to the coating and the fuel stock sent out to super markets.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

well it had a new engine at 74k and its sat on 145k now, so i wonder to myself, will the replacement engine be alusil?

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Nikasil can be redone if the bores are shot. 2-stroke owners do it all the time. If it's done well it won't give you any grief.

Mercedes Benz also used it in their early alloy V8's. Pistons ran in the block on Nikasil.
Cheers,
John

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

beelzebubs wrote:well it had a new engine at 74k and its sat on 145k now, so i wonder to myself, will the replacement engine be alusil?
That was probably the reason for the engine change at such low miles - the new one will be fine.

The small V-8 is a bit of a mixed bag - they went back to six cylinders for that size on later models. The previous 3 litre 6 was getting long in the tooth - but a lovely unit and bombproof.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

3.0 will do for now for mock up at least, I'll find a 4.0 in the near future, possibly coming winter

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Hello again,

I used a x5 4.4 m62 v8 oil pump and chain, take the pump apart, cut the front housing in half and extend it, press off oil pump gear and have a longer shaft made to match your extended housing press on oil pump gear........

Then make a new sump to fit round the oil pump and drive.......

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

I decided for power output and possibly forced induction in the future that I would not use the BMW engine management and go for an Emerald K6 unit instead, this ment that I had to change the tacho for an after market one and modify the water temp guage aswell..........

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

so unknown if just plugging it into the e36 loom would actually work then...shouldnt be to much of a bigge.

there is obviosly from the loom plug, some + and -, the rest should be starter, temp, oil, tacho etc, should just be a case of finding which wire goes to where.

I hope.

thanks again guy.

P.s was thinking on useing the m42 sump, cut the flange of it (also square it up, as its on the tilt) and do the same with the v8 sump, and weld the 2 together,,,,so should look bm from underneath.

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

I don't think you can just plugin, a mate of mine has just fit a 328 lump in a 318ti and I think he said they had to swap a couple of pins about, fuel pump and something else, but then it fired up ok, so not to major........

Sump sounds like a good idea, I made mine out of steel because it was easier for me to mod, the oil pump gear/chain sticks out the furthest so had to make sump an odd shape at the front..........

Notice the bump at front...........

A pic of my modded dash.........

I have redone the dash since this pic, to get rid of scratches etc, but it looks good now, dash lights up orange but rev counter is green...!!
It also has an after market temp gauge mounted behind the BM dash......

Hope this info helps....

Steve.

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

I'm defo useing your pics for reference that's for sure, what I'll need to find is a diagram for the m42 loom plug wireing, and the 530...but as you say no biggie.

also, quick thought on your pump, instead of ally welding it, I was gonna cut mine in twain, drill out the holes a bit bigger, tap them, and put in a stainless tube the right length to suit, as ally welding aint a strong point with me, but I can use a pillar drill and tap and die set :)

depending on how this works out, it would be fairly easy to knock out a kit for others to be able to do the same.

I was also thinking on 1"x1" angle for the sump flange, nice and sturdy to weld the drop to..

Tell ya, i'm totally inspired...you read thread atfer thread where people have tried this, given up and fitted some yank engine like an ls3 or simmilar, when the solution is just so easy :)

there is dead 36 down the road from me, so I was gonna grab that, get the plasma out, cut the inner wing out of it to give me clear access to making the pipes too :)

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

The biggest problem with the oil pump is that it has two oil ways in it, one main feed to the filter, the second is a lower pressure that feeds the chain lube system, and on the drive side the main shaft, it also has only 3 mounting points, which you can move the rear one back to the third main cap as they bolt to the main cap fixings...........

My mate machined a flange from 8mm steel, coping a steel sump gasket from an X5........

I bought a sump for a 351 windsor ford v8 and cut off the flange and welded it my new one, then cut it about to make it fit round pump and drive........

Steve.

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”