Audi B5 420-R: The Build

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

So is that an Audi gearbox too ?

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

stevieturbo wrote:Nice project. Any pics of the car as it will be finished ?

What is that gearbox off ? I take it this is a mid engined deal ?
The transmission is from a 2001 Audi S4, the S8 motor will be mounted in the engine bay like the original V6.

I'll post up some pictures, though my own car may well turn out very different.
2000 Audi B5 420-R, Pelican Blue:Work In Progress.
2000 Audi B5 420-R DTM, Santorin Blue: Work In Progress.

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

ChrisJC wrote:
stevieturbo wrote: I take it this is a mid engined deal ?
Audi's generally have this terrible weight distribution issue, as they are front wheel drive with a longitudinal engine. So you need a transmission like this, with the diff between gearbox & clutch.

On the upside, they are ideal transmissions for mid-engined cars!!

Chris.
Front wheel drive, AND quattro (AWD).

AWD cars have better weight distribution, as the tranny's longer, (further under the car) combined with the rear differential and subframe, is better balanced than a comparable FWDmodel.

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

stevieturbo wrote:So is that an Audi gearbox too ?
It certainly is. :D

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Update 06th August 2012:

My Audi S8 flywheel turned up today from the fatherland, Germany. Pretty stoked - it was on back order, and I was expecting it to take a lot longer to arrive. I only ordered it last week.

And I've purchased another base car for this project. I wasn't happy with the one I initially purchased. This one I purchased is all the way in Bristol, which is roughly 220 miles from me, and a three-hour drive, lol. I'll be picking her up on Saturday. She's a '96 Audi A4 2,6 V6 Quattro Sport. Only one owner from new, she's done 141,000 miles, and has full service history, as a bonus, she's MOT'd till June 2013, so just ripe for some serious modding! :)

Pictures to follow.

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

New Audi S8 flywheel, as supplied by Audi AG:

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Update 11th August 2012:

I picked up my new base car today. All the way from Bristol, which is a 225 mile drive. I left at 13:35, arrived in Bristol at 1705 hours, so not exactly local. I've just gotten home at 2219 hours, absolutely shattered.

Initial impressions are good - the car drove well, pulled strongly all through the rev range, with no flat spots or hesitation. It's had only one owner from new, and has a full service history, which is a bonus, but not really relevant, as the stock 2,6 V6 2 x SOHC 12V is coming out, along with the 5-speed manual tranny, to make way for a beefy 4,2 V8 2 x DOHC 32V and 6-speed manual tranny.

Over the next few days, I'll be carrying out a thorough assessment, and putting the car on a strict weight loss regime. Anything not absolutely needed for the car to run, and still remain road legal will be junked. I'll post pictures of her tomorrow after Sunday service, after I've given her a thorough clean. Current color is Audi Europe Blue Pearl, but that's a moot point, as the current color is subject to change. What the final color will be, is anybody's guess. ;)

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

The car, as picked up yesterday, after a damn good wash and dry. Some scrapes. but that's to be expected. All the parts with scratches play no part in the transformation, so will be junked for facelift Audi RS4 B5 items. 8)

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

More...

Last edited by Nollywood on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

And more...

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

And lastly...

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Update 24th August 2012:

I purchased an aluminium radiator for the B5. I'm currently putting together a kit to relocate the oil filter, and also allow the fitment of a regular spin-off metal item. I'm using a B6 3,0 oil filter.

This kit also allows me to run an air-to-air oil cooler, with thermostatic control. I've gone for a 20-row unit. I may well fit a small cooling fan, if I can find one that will fit easily.

My aluminium radiator was delivered by courier. Quite well-made, and is a direct replacement for B5 A4 and S4, that have both pipes on the passenger's side. My S8 engine has both pipes on the driver's side. I could invert the radiator to suite, but then the drain bung, and thermo-switch will be at the top, not good.

I'm going to get the outlets transferred on the radiator, just needs a competent aluminium welder, which I have. And a slight change of plan - I'm installing the radiator in the regular location, at the front. But will be mounted more towards the grille, so the cooling fans can be installed on the engine side. More superior cooling, than if the fans were mounted on the grille side (push fans).

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Audi A4 / S4 B5 radiators vary in core thickness, but the width between the end tanks is 24" in all models. Yes, that includes the 2,5 TDI and S4.

This radiator is wider than stock, but still fits in the OEM location. I have a pair of 12" fans, which just fit the stock rad. In this case, it fits with room to spare, which is awesome.

Pictures:

Last picture with a pair of 12" fans, just for reference. I won't be using these fans though, they don't pull enough air, I'm using a beefier pair from a 2001 Range Rover 4,6 HSE P38.

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Update 1st September 2012:

In preparation to mating the S8 engine to my 01E 6-speed manual, to install in the first phase of my DTM build, I decided to freshen up the 01E transmission. I removed the light surface corrosion, gave it a thorough degrease and wash.

I then gave the entire casing a swab with a microfibre cloth, soaked in gasoline. Next step was three coats of grey primer. The final color will be as Audi made it - the bellhousing (aluminium) in satin black, the centre gear carrier (cast iron) silver, and finally, the Torsen central differential housing (aluminium) satin black.

The grey primer has been applied, tomorrow the final colors will be applied, I'm leaving it all to sit overnight. Pictures below - the first two show it as it was, the following 4 show it primered:

Pictures of finished product will be posted tomorrow.

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Update 2nd September 2012:

Yesterday, I laid down three coats of grey primer, on my 01E 6-speed manual transmission. Today, before leaving for Sunday Service, I applied two coats of Aluminium Silver to all the areas that were silver from the factory, and left it to bake under ultra violet light.

On my return, I carefully masked all the now dry Aluminium Silver areas, then laid down two even coats of Satin Black. I then gave it a three-hour bake, removing the masking an hour later. The results speak for themselves. It looks just as Audi made it back in 2001, probably better.

Pictures:

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”