ford transit

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

bodger
Guru
Guru

ford transit

Post by bodger »

is it possible to put a rover V8 in a 1995 ford transit ?

remember it's only a bodge if it DOSN'T worK

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Do you want it in the front?
How much work are you prepared to do to get it in the front if that is where you want it?
PPC stuffed a ford 302 in the front of a earlier transit by fitting a deisel front end, I am pretty sure the pinto was fitted to the later transit and if you can get a pinto in there then (length wise) a rover can be made to fit.
If you are prepared to modify the bulk head then you should be able to make anything fit, just make a big enough hole in the bulkhead and poke it through (though plug changes may be interesting).
If you are happy with the engine in the middle then the whole thing is just a case of finding a gearbox diff combo or transaxel, then build a suitable rear suspension (De-Deon tube with jag hubs and existing damper mounts beefed up to take coil overs and use the leaf spring mounts front and rear to hold watts linkages in line with the van and a panard rod for side to side mounting??)
Sorry got caried away there.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

bodger
Guru
Guru

Post by bodger »

thankyou Mike , with as little mods as poss really ..i have a rover and LT77 in my ldv at the mo and looking to change the van so i was wondering what i could put it in next ...
the trouble is where i live it's inside the poxy LEZ so anything thats a decent size and is diesel i have to pay loads

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Hmm, you could put it in the back and use a Renault UN1 :wink: :lol:

But if you dont fancy trying to get all your tools in the newly empty bonnet maybe it should go in the front!
TC

v8trev
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by v8trev »

Mmmm, Practical Performance Car magazine are putting a Ford V8 in a Transit (in the front) so I don't see why a Rover V8 couldn't be made to fit.
To create extra space they've used a Transit Diesel front panel.

More here:

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=21

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

Anything is possible. A mate in NZ put a 350 Chevy in a Hillman Imp.

bodger
Guru
Guru

Post by bodger »

... yum yum :)

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

So it can........I deffo see a RV8 in there.
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

I know a guy locally that put a RV8 in a transit years ago. Think he used a Ford box of some sort and one of the bellhousing conversions.
Dont know if it was the original transit box or a Type 9 of some sort

I just remember the gear stick was massive lol But the engine bay was pretty big and a fair bit of room.

Gearing was woefully short though due to short rear diff.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Not impressed with that supervan TBH. If they'd shoved the engine in the front, then very good, but to shove it in the load-space - what was the point of that?!

And I'm surprised how slow it is - did they say 0-60 in 7.something? My Landie does it in about 8, which a pretty normal RV8....!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

ChrisJC wrote:Not impressed with that supervan TBH. If they'd shoved the engine in the front, then very good, but to shove it in the load-space - what was the point of that?!

And I'm surprised how slow it is - did they say 0-60 in 7.something? My Landie does it in about 8, which a pretty normal RV8....!

Chris.
The Transit's quite heavy, and gear ratios will have a lot to do with how quick it'll be. Granted it's not AWD like the Land Rover, but it's still heavier, with a steel body versus the LR's aluminium.

With regards the layout of the engine, I see where you're coming from. But this van wasn't built to be a practical workhorse, it was more of a Design Study, a showcase if you like, to show what could be achieved.
2000 Audi B5 420-R, Pelican Blue:Work In Progress.
2000 Audi B5 420-R DTM, Santorin Blue: Work In Progress.

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

It was running a full GT40 engine and gearbox with LE Mans ratios which would mean a top end of about 200 mph dependant on tyre diameter

Allowing for the weight, wind resistance and ratios I would think the secs would be fair

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”