TR7V8

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

chrisellis

TR7V8

Post by chrisellis »

I have kept out of here because this is just a bit of fun for me, but this may be of interest to the forum now.

Two years in (2-3 hrs a week) and I have just got around to building up the engine.

www.take2trs.co.uk/toa

My aim is to show the car, the odd sprint and hillclimb but would hope the car could be of use at local charitable events.

john 215
Getting There
Getting There

Post by john 215 »

Hi,
Awesome car :D but then i guess i am a little biased! Excellent site as well.
Cheers John.
LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME.

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Chris,

Nice car and properly built, a credit to your workmanship.

Just a thought, the works cars had problems with the axle tubes pulling out of the diff housing because they only had plug welds if I remember correctly.

They solved the problem by welding the tubes all the way round, you may have already done this but can't see from any of the axle pics.

Oh and do you happen to know the width of the TR7 axle, I believe the centre section/ diff carrier is the same as the SD1 but with the shorter nose extension.

Kevin.

chrisellis

Post by chrisellis »

CastleMGBV8 wrote:Chris,

Nice car and properly built, a credit to your workmanship.

Just a thought, the works cars had problems with the axle tubes pulling out of the diff housing because they only had plug welds if I remember correctly.

They solved the problem by welding the tubes all the way round, you may have already done this but can't see from any of the axle pics.

Oh and do you happen to know the width of the TR7 axle, I believe the centre section/ diff carrier is the same as the SD1 but with the shorter nose extension.

Kevin.
Hi Kevin

I did not check the welds as the original car competed for 20 years, also won its class in the Southern tarmac championships in 2006, then the axle was rebuilt. I can measure the axle if you need the measurements.

Chris

chrisellis

Post by chrisellis »

john 215 wrote:Hi,
Awesome car :D but then i guess i am a little biased! Excellent site as well.
Cheers John.
Hi John

Thanks, hope to do the memory of the car justice. Any details of yours anywhere ?

Can you recommend spark plugs, I used to use NGK in comp engines, what do you run ?

Regards
Chris

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Chris,

If it's been used in competition and stayed together that long it's probably been properly welded.

If it's not too much trouble I would like to know the axle width hub face to hub face and am I right about the diff carrier being the same as the SD1.

Kevin.

john 215
Getting There
Getting There

Post by john 215 »

Hi Chris,
Mine is a DHC, running a 4.6 ,stage 3 heads,weber 500,wild cat manifold,cam ect.Should be on the road in a week or 2 ,run it in and hopefully some 1/4 mile action to follow :D Like you run NGK's as well. Once again a great looking car 8)
Cheers John

chrisellis

Post by chrisellis »

john 215 wrote:Hi Chris,
Mine is a DHC, running a 4.6 ,stage 3 heads,weber 500,wild cat manifold,cam ect.Should be on the road in a week or 2 ,run it in and hopefully some 1/4 mile action to follow :D Like you run NGK's as well. Once again a great looking car 8)
Cheers John
Nice!!

I also have a 3.9 DHC, you may have seen it at www.take2trs.co.uk although members may be more interested in the Leyland works photos.

Back to NGK, what are the plug numbers, I need to buy some but there are a lot of choices and temps.

Chris

john 215
Getting There
Getting There

Post by john 215 »

Hi Chris,
I run at the moment BP6ES, i know what you mean about choice though.If you do a 'search' on here then you can find out what others run.
Showed a few other's your site and they love your car 8)
Cheers John

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

very nice, good section about the wiring, that's what I'll be attempting in a few weeks hehe!

davemgb
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by davemgb »

Chris,

Does your kill switch have the secondary contact set on it?

Dave

chrisellis

Post by chrisellis »

davemgb wrote:Chris,

Does your kill switch have the secondary contact set on it?

Dave
Funny you say that, I was thinking about that today, the one outside by the windscreen pillar does and shunts the alternator on shutdown, the dash mount one does not, of course it should have !!

Chris

Return to “Your Garage Scene”