Keeping your engine bay tidy

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

series3-2007
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Keeping your engine bay tidy

Post by series3-2007 »

for weeks now, ive been trying to re-arrange all the wiring thats tucked under the bonnet of the truck and its just not happening still looks like a horrible mess or wires,

[/img]

Flying Phil
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Flying Phil »

Hi
I've been doing the same thing hiding electrical wires and brake pipes. I've also hidden the fuse box, wiper motor and washer bottle.
Before

and After
Image[/img]

It is a frustrating job that creates a lot of other problems!
Flying Phil

ramon alban
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by ramon alban »

Mine looked a bit tidier

AFTER I photoshopped it!

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

This is my engine bay after a bit of tidying.

Far to anal for me own good sometimes :lol:

P

martyn123
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by martyn123 »

Hi,

My ignition leads look a little untidy compared to the last photograph, however wondering if the leads run that close to each other the whole length can they interfere with each other,

Martyn.....

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Martyn
I know that the leads are a bit to close to each other but I dont have any misfires at any speeds and the motor runs like a watch.
Everything ignition wise is MSD aprt from the dizzy and the lead carriers I made up and then Plasticoated.
The little lead separators are stock MSD items and are made from some kind of plastic which again cause no problems.
Ideally the leads should be at least 1" apart for optimum performance but after trying that it looked shocking and I could not live with it.
As I say "Far to anal for my own good"

Cheers
P

ramon alban
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by ramon alban »

Hoping this is not a Hijack?
martyn123 wrote:wondering if the leads run that close to each other the whole length can they interfere with each other
gelmonkey wrote:Ideally the leads should be at least 1" apart for optimum performance but after trying that it looked shocking and I could not live with it.
You are both 100% correct. If close enough, they ALL interfere with their neighbours.

Cross-firing, caused by an avoidable electrical phenomenon known as Electromagnetic Induction (measured as 'Inductance') but only critical with cylinders 5 and 7 on the RV8.

NOT as seen in my images above (since corrected, by the way, with noticeable improvement to mpg, lower engine temperature and smooth running :) ), taken before I learned of this interference issue:

Cross Firing may occur when plug leads No. 5 and 7 are adjacent to each other in their separators. As piston No 5 approaches TDC and receives its spark, piston No 7 is 90 degrees behind, part way through its compression stroke. The high voltage in lead No 5 induces a discharge in No 7 by electromagnetic inductance. The resultant spark prematurely fires the partly compressed mixture in cylinder No 7 causing a partial burn, inefficiency overheating and likely collateral damage. To prevent this unique cross firing occurrence, those two plug leads must not be adjacent to each other.

The above extract being part of my recent (typical)) RV8 Ignition treaty. Here: -- And Here:

Return to “General Chat Area”