Volvrat II - Zippy Lea - Volvo 940 V8

What Do You Drive? Tell Us Here.
V8 Only Please,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Mr Bob

Post by Mr Bob »

Just thought I'd point something out. Your Volvo is an R plate car so will be running a catalyst and hence fairly strict emissions rules.

A carb fed Rover will never pass the emissions test for an R plate. You would need a much later engine running full engine management with catalysts.

Your OTHER option though, is probably to convert to LPG. Emissions will be very low on that, and it'll probably save you some cash too.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Mr Bob wrote:Just thought I'd point something out. Your Volvo is an R plate car so will be running a catalyst and hence fairly strict emissions rules.

A carb fed Rover will never pass the emissions test for an R plate. You would need a much later engine running full engine management with catalysts.

Your OTHER option though, is probably to convert to LPG. Emissions will be very low on that, and it'll probably save you some cash too.
Emissions goes on the age of the engine, not the car.

Although it is up to you to prove that age.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Mr Bob

Post by Mr Bob »

stevieturbo wrote:
Mr Bob wrote:Just thought I'd point something out. Your Volvo is an R plate car so will be running a catalyst and hence fairly strict emissions rules.

Emissions goes on the age of the engine, not the car.

Although it is up to you to prove that age.
Quoted from MOT.CO.UK:

Vehicles Fitted with a differnt engine

Test according to which is older, engine or vehicle.
e.g. A 1995 car fitted with a 1991 engine (of whatever make), test to 1991 standards for emission purposes.

Note: The onus is on the vehicle presenter
to prove engine age

I duly stand corrected!

I wonder if referencing the engine number alone would be enough proof of age?

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

You may need some official ( looking ) document stating this engine number was originally fitted to such a vehicle in 1923 etc etc

I doubt the MOT will have access to any database to search for an engine numbers history.
So you could try and trace the engines history and get an official report done from somewhere...or just print something "official looking" up yourself.

Really...what's the difference ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Return to “Your Cars”