V8 Only Please,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

1974 Triumph Dolomite Sprint : 0-60 in 5.8s

Post by Lewis »

Sooo...finally got some decent pics :)

The car is fitted with a fuel injected Rover 3.5EFI This drives a 5 speed gearbox with a Sherpa linkage - and it's fantastic. There's literally 2cm of throw between gears, it IS like a rifle bolt and makes a great noise - Ka-chink!

The swirl pot is in the tank, with EFi pump so that's quiet. Exhaust gases exit via a single pipe system, with fresh air coming in from a K&N filter. The radiator is a one-off item and the engine is as far back as possible. Everything works beautifully and the car is the BEST one of it's kind that I've ever driven.

It also has Spax shocks, uprated springs and goodridge hoses.

The gearstick falls nicely to hand and it's a real pleasure to drive - it really does ride, grip and go nicely - maybe down to the springs and the 205 tyres it is shod with.

Recently I've noticed a bit of wear in the RHS balljoint or trackrod, so I may replace that soon, along with new tyres.

At 70mph it turns 2800RPM in top, at 30mph 1100RPM. It's not too bad, although it does mean you need 3rd for 60, unless you really thrash it. Oil pressure at idle when warm is 50lb and 60 when revved. It reputedly had a new pump just before I bought it..

(spot the missing bits!)

Anyway, on to the nitty gritty!

ECU and relays live under the drivers seat

Intertial cutout and some wiring wondering in the footwell.

Ghetto-install temporary gauge

Interior needs...work! - just reassembling really.

Gap between rad & engine

Clearance to filter...

And underneath...comes off a treat!

Manifold fits ...tightly on this side

AFM, coil, various other bits on LHS turret & inside wing

Ground clearance? WE DON'T NEED NO STEENKIN GROUND CLEARANCE!

Sherpa short shift linkage (2cm between throws, lovely! Bit brutish though!) with Dolly top stick welded on!

Eye up lads, trouble's just rocked up!

It's quite heavily silenced so is very subtle at idle and around town yet when it climbs above 3000 it suddenly starts bellowing and screaming, even more so as it breaches 5000 - in the cab you certainly know it's there though, even when rolling along. Definitely an engine that sounds better under load than free-revving.

Anyway, so far the going's been good - just been bedding it in as it hasn't done many miles as a V8 and waiting on parts - still have no cooling fans, despite them being ordered.

There is a short list of things to do but there's nothing major.

Best recorded 0-60 on the G-meter is 5.80 seconds dead at the moment - a slight improvement over the 5.83 seconds I got before. This is on the very dubious cheap tyres mind and in the slightly less than tractive conditions. We did a side-by-side comparison with my neighbour's 3.2 Audi A3 with Haldex and superb box and the Sprint was quicker through the gears but aerodynamics started getting in the way at higher velocites.

Audi had the edge in the corners though by miles, the Sprint just fishtails! More handling mods required!

Once it dries out, I get some decent rubber and get it cooled I'll start wringing its neck for those extra few fractions - will be interesting to see how it goes. Getting used to the gearchange took some time, occasionally 2>3rd is hard to get but there's about 7 adjustment points on the linkage, so after fettling that it was much simpler.

I'll post a small project log over this Easter which will be when the next stage begins.....eyes are on a progessive nitrous oxide kit amongst more handling/braking modifications!

Oh and noticed it's got 4 Alpine speakers and a motorised rear aerial too - so just need a headunit now...Not that I could hear the bloody thing :D

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

nice one mate.

where did you get the short shift from?????
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

Gah! I've got to stop doing that! :lol:

It's just a Sherpa linkage, not a short shift. I just keep saying it as the throws are so short.

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

First bit of carbon fibre! OK so it's a tiny piece!

I've always been a fan of Autometer gear but wether I'll fit this or not I'm uncertain - I'll wait till I can look at it in the car. I couldn't refuse it at the price hence the purchase...can always sell it on. The blue rubber cover over the lamp is removed at the moment, I prefer it without but it's to prevent dazzle at night.

It's a lovely bit of kit though - 5" monster tacho - green illuminated dial (so it'll 'match' my Smiths!), high-intensity blue shiftlight (changeable though, would be tempted to go for yellow)...

Really weighty too, nice solid heft to it. I might get a few matching gauges for the other bits that may appear soon. I'd like a carbon fibre ACT plenum and rampipes for my 3.5 but they're so expensive it's insane, especially for what 'little' you recieve - so I'm tempted to have a go at making my own (especially after seeing one of the Retro-Rides members - who's exceedingly skilled - make a fantastic intake system). Time will tell I guess ...

Also recieved:

And:

:twisted: :lol:

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

You have made a tidy job of getting the V8 in there Lewis. I was up against your car at the Pod last weekend. (Black MGBV8). Had a bit of trouble off the line if you remember. ( I actually stalled my auto) Talk about bogging down. Can you send me the vid of me trying to start the B?
It turned out to be another shredded dissy drive cog. Thats why it was popping back through the carb and the exhaust before firing for 3 seconds.
Its all back together now, just finished it about ten mins ago. I just need to flush the oil system tomorrow and fit a new filter, then I'll be ready to try again to retire this engine at the Pod in a month. The new engine is waiting to go in.
See you soon...

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

Lewis I love your Triumph! Its clean in all the right places and ratty in all the right places too! the oil gauge is a lovely touch. Great car dude. Have you seen we have another member on here putting a TVR AJP V8 into one of these cars. Haven't seen any recent posts from him but his car is sweet also. what times did you run at the pod?

landybob_v8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by landybob_v8 »

you got a vid on youtube of your drive to work

sure i recognise it

nice motor
v8's everywhere at least the one in the spare bedrooms gone now

mrs happy again

Return to “Your Cars”