What Do You Drive? Tell Us Here.
V8 Only Please,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

JC's MGB GT Factory V8.

Post by JC. »

About a month ago I decided that I could probably just about afford one of these things so I sold my 1.8 four cylinder MGB GT and started hunting for one. I've been after a genuine Factory V8 for some years now but I've never been able to find one.

Anyway, this is car 809 of only 2601 built Factory MGB GT V8's in "Bracken" or Orange to you and me!
A bit of a rare car in that there are only 124 examples including this one built by the factory to this spec.

I traveled down to Dorset with my other half on Friday to collect the car. It's not turned a wheel in 2 years but it has performed faultlessly. I've put about 550 miles on the clock so far in 3 days. With nearly 140k on the clock it's obviously had an engine rebuild at some point as definately putting out a fair bit more power than standard. This thing has got some serious grunt compared to my last B. But then, it would have anyway being a 3.5 litre V8!
It was completely rebuilt 10 years ago and had a full bare metal respray. It's lovely. There's a few little jobs that I want to do to it, but that will always be the case with an old car. That aside, I'm very happy with it.

Anyway... here's a few pictures. :)

Image -JC.

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

You must be very pleased with that.
It does look good.
cheers
Paul :D

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Looks very smart, I see it has a German mate!!! Could getting rid of the trouser type manifold and putting RR type inlet on (keeping the SU's) be worth a few horses?
TC

Richard P6
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Richard P6 »

Very nice :)

What does it sound like?

Richard

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JC. »

Thank you for the kind comments, chaps.
Richard! Here's a short vid of her running...

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=fe3nkx&s=4
Image -JC.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Not another bloody MGB V8 :lol:

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

JC

Nice car, keep it as standard or do only minmal mods such as a set of high comp 9.75 pistons and a pair of sdi heads will make it run a lot better any more and you'll break the MG gearbox.

A change of rear springs to MGS40721 110lb reverse spring eye spring will make a big improvement to the ride and handling and lower the car 1-2" depending on spec ordered. measure your existing ride height between chrome strip and centre of wheel for a reference point.

The imost mportant thing is to just enjoy it,

Kevin.

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JC. »

Keep it standard??? Nah, stock is boring!

I'll run it as it is for a bit, though. I'm well aware of the weaknesses of the original gearbox. However, it's still got o/d on third so that would suggest that it's possibly on the original gearbox since this was taken off when they went back to MG for replacment.
If it is the original box, 140k is pretty good going!

Suspension and handling is pretty good as it is for now, surprisingly. It's obviously been played with as its got the thicker front ARB and its pretty easy to controll on the limit. I have an LSD axle waiting to go on which will help things even further.

I'll be converting the car to automatic at some point in the near future and upgrading the engine quite a bit. Additionally, in a few years time, I'll be having a new solid roof put on - I'm not a fan of webasto's. Eventually they leak. A colour change to Aconite (purple) is also on the cards at some point.

I'd also like to look at getting a set of those fibreglass replica rubber bumper skins from the USA and work out a way to fit those somehow. It'd be nice to get "the look" without having the weight penalty of the steel armature!
With only 12 Aconite rubber bumper V8's ever made I was never going to find the exact spec I wanted, eh?
Still, the nice thing about MG's is the tinker factor so it doesn't matter. :D

-JC.
Image -JC.

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

JC
Without wishing to blow my own small trumpet,if you could borrow a set of the rubber bumpers you speak of, then I have the skills to take moulds and produce fibreglass units for you.
Of course there would be a cost for this but you would have a safer way of getting them and of course if they needed modifying then it can be done in this country.
Fibre glass panels/kits from the auto industry hae always been iffy to say the least and if you did get a set in from the USA there would not be a very good avenue of after service.
Any way this is just a thought for you to consider :)
cheers
Paul

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JC. »

Paul!

This sounds very interesting. I hadn't considered the possibility that I could get that done over here?
Once we get christmas out of the way I'll give you a shout if thats OK?

Presumably it'd be fairly straight forward to bond in some little mounting brackets so that they can be bolted on the to the existing bumper brackets?
Image -JC.

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi JC
Yes we could do almost anything re fixings for you.
Getting the dreaded Chrimbo out of the way is good and I could'nt do anything for a time after the C word as we are very busy but by all means give me a shout and we can talk it over okay.
Hope this helps
cheers
P

RoverP6B
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by RoverP6B »

Hello JC,

Very nice indeed... :D

Ron.
4.6 Rover 3500 P6B

Richard P6
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Richard P6 »

JC. wrote:Thank you for the kind comments, chaps.
Richard! Here's a short vid of her running...

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=fe3nkx&s=4
Excellent.

I prefer stock myself - well ok, I prefer it to look stock, but perhaps be able to upset members of the GTi brigade, just a little when the fancy takes me 8-)

Return to “Your Cars”