Cobra Replica

What Do You Drive? Tell Us Here.
V8 Only Please,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Cobratone
Is a Spanner

Cobra Replica

Post by Cobratone »

Hi all, I run a pilgrim Sumo on Granny mk3 running gear but I'm sure you'd rather hear about the engine than the car :P

I'm currently using a 3.9 Rover block stroked to 4.8 litres with forged omega pistons, big valve heads, steel rocker gear and a John Eales special cam. All the engine parts (except block) were sourced from John Eales whom I can't recommend enough. The induction comprises of flapper inlet manifold and trumpet base modified with 45mm shortened trumpets and ported to match the heads, 30lb injectors and a 70mm throttle plate in a modified flapper plenum. The fuel management is Megasquirt (from Phil Ringwood) and it runs my spark too through an edis 8 module and twin coilpacks. Never put it on a rolling road yet but know it's adequate for the moment.

Next project is a supercharged 5.2 rover based on a 4.6 block but after talking to John about prices it might be later in the year before I start building it :twisted: Watch this space :D

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Cobra Replica

Post by sidecar »

Cobratone wrote:Hi all, I run a pilgrim Sumo on Granny mk3 running gear but I'm sure you'd rather hear about the engine than the car :P

I'm currently using a 3.9 Rover block stroked to 4.8 litres with forged omega pistons, big valve heads, steel rocker gear and a John Eales special cam. All the engine parts (except block) were sourced from John Eales whom I can't recommend enough. The induction comprises of flapper inlet manifold and trumpet base modified with 45mm shortened trumpets and ported to match the heads, 30lb injectors and a 70mm throttle plate in a modified flapper plenum. The fuel management is Megasquirt (from Phil Ringwood) and it runs my spark too through an edis 8 module and twin coilpacks. Never put it on a rolling road yet but know it's adequate for the moment.

Next project is a supercharged 5.2 rover based on a 4.6 block but after talking to John about prices it might be later in the year before I start building it :twisted: Watch this space :D

You sound familiar, just can't place you at the mo! :D

Cobratone
Is a Spanner

Post by Cobratone »

No Pete, I'm not the big fat bas**rd you're thinking of I'm a different fat bas**rd 8-)

Been a member on here for some time but hardly used it (although I did use the old forum for a while). Getting slightly fed up with the "other" forum so lurking on here now and checking out info on my new project :D

russell_ram
Getting There
Getting There

Post by russell_ram »

There are other lurkers here too!

Russ
Rover Powered to 11.63sec @ 128mph.

Cobratone
Is a Spanner

Post by Cobratone »

Russ been meaning to give you a call. I went to the last meet at the blackboy hoping you were there so I could have a chat but no-one turned up :roll:

I believe you moved house, is your number still the same?

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Cobratone wrote:No Pete, I'm not the big fat bas**rd you're thinking of I'm a different fat bas**rd 8-)

Been a member on here for some time but hardly used it (although I did use the old forum for a while). Getting slightly fed up with the "other" forum so lurking on here now and checking out info on my new project :D

Why are you fed up with the "other" forum? :shock:

Your new project sounds very interesting, it will be one hell of a motor when it's up and running! :P

russell_ram
Getting There
Getting There

Post by russell_ram »

Yes, Tone, same number - I moved all of 1 mile up the road. But I now have a double garage (but no money!).

Russ
Rover Powered to 11.63sec @ 128mph.

Pocket rocket
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Pocket rocket »

Hi Tony

Nice to see you've joined us :D

Robin

Cobratone
Is a Spanner

Post by Cobratone »

Pocket rocket wrote:Hi Tony

Nice to see you've joined us :D

Robin
Cheers Robin, I do seem to get around :wink:

Cobratone
Is a Spanner

Post by Cobratone »

sidecar wrote:Your new project sounds very interesting, it will be one hell of a motor when it's up and running! :P
Estimated at 500bhp :shock: But at such a cost :shock:

I keep asking myself do I really need 500 horses in my sumo, the answer is obviously yes but i'll also need new gearbox/bellhousing and lower ratio diff possibly even converting to Jaguar so not a quick exercise. I'll probably start with a super strong 5.2, sell my engine, beef up the rear end then stick the supercharger on. :D

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

500bhp RV8 ain't gonna be cheap! :shock:

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Cobratone wrote:
sidecar wrote:Your new project sounds very interesting, it will be one hell of a motor when it's up and running! :P
Estimated at 500bhp :shock: But at such a cost :shock:

I keep asking myself do I really need 500 horses in my sumo, the answer is obviously yes but i'll also need new gearbox/bellhousing and lower ratio diff possibly even converting to Jaguar so not a quick exercise. I'll probably start with a super strong 5.2, sell my engine, beef up the rear end then stick the supercharger on. :D

Sounds like a plan!

(Noel is planning to but 500+ BHP and monster torque though a Granny back end....it might be worth you keeping an eye out for his posts in the future! :lol: )

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

If you are going to build a 5.2 rover, change the transmission and back axel, surly a stroked 302 ford or even an FE would be a cheeper easier route to 500 BHP and alot more authentic, or did I miss somthing? :?
Mike
poppet valves rule!

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Tony,

Probably cheaper to get a Ford 302 or 347 with a stroker kit and a nice pair of alloy heads which will give somewhere around 400BHP depending on spec, and you wont need a blower to complicate matters, it will fit under the bonnet and even be more authentic. you could buy it ready built to your spec from the US and have it shipped, the T5 will bolt straight on with no problems of an expensive bellhousing to mate the rover to the T5. Just make sure you get the right T5 with the required mods, something to do with a bearing retainer plate and I believe the selector forks are a little on the weak side.

The ford 302 with alloy heads and auxillaries is only 60lb heavier than the rover lump.

Kevin.

Cobratone
Is a Spanner

Post by Cobratone »

Thanks for the comments guys. The whole point of having a RV8 in my cobra replica is, for me, because it's not "original". Apart from the general shape there is nothing "original" about my replica. The 4.8 I have in there now is very fast and surprises a lot of the chevy and ford boys who can't believe a Rover powered car can keep up with/out accelerate them. Having a more powerful Rover engine in would make it much more fun for me. I've rebuilt many a RV8, stroked some, fitted efi and gone distributorless so the natural progression is to try supercharging. I thought about s/cing the engine i already have but it's based on a small journal 3.9 block so thought i'd probably break it.
The bellhousing would come from John Eales and the gearbox will be a getrag total cost approx £650, jag diff £200 so not too expensive to do. If i move to American metal then i'll need new headers, engine mounts, possible cooling system etc. :D

Return to “Your Cars”