LPG Filling up -

Any posts regarding LPG to be posted here ONLY please.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

smoker

LPG Filling up -

Post by smoker »

Hi all, Has anyone noticed that different lpg stations give different amounts of lpg for a fill up?. I filled up at 2 stations on the M1 last night after the first fill i travelled about 6 miles and got another 20 litres in at the next service station!. Is this normal - i presume the second station had a higher pressure delivey pump?. Very annying it makes it difficult to do brim to brim mpg checks.

1984 Rover 3500 running on lpg

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I do find it varies, which is one reason I pretty much always fill up at the same filling station.

I don't understand why it varies though as it should get cut off when the float in the tank reaches a certain height.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Quagmire
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Quagmire »

I find it varies dependant on whether the station has just taken a delivery of gas or not. I fill up twice a week on LPG and it generally gets a shorter and shorter fill until the station gets some more in.

However having said this it does still vary from station to station. I find that BP seems to use the highest pressure pumps, as these will (if you let it) fill my 60l tank up to 55 litres! That should not be possible and i should only get 48 in there really...

Total seems to vary the most near me- some days i only get 20 litres in (which is frustrating).

:shock:
1974 Rover 3500s
1984 3.5 90
1959 2.25 series 2

Monster V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Monster V8 »

I find this as well, it depends where you go when you find a good one just use that one only.

badger
Getting There
Getting There

Post by badger »

If you fill at a pump with a high pressure, the flow into the tank creates turbulence, this causes the float to operate at an artificially lower level than normal but not so low that the valve can reset and allow further filling until you have allowed all pressure in the fill line to dissipate.
Filling up at a pump with a lower pressure, there is less turbulence in the tank, so the tank fills further.
A customer here mentioned this and I suggested he stopped filling when he reckoned he was about 10 litres off being full, wait 10 seconds and then put it in 3 or 4 litres at a time, waiting 10 seconds each time. He put in a further 20 litres this way, confirming the issue!
Badger.
"Real sport has 8 spark plugs"
www.roverv8engines.co.uk

Return to “LPG Section”