rover sd1 - improving lpg set-up

Any posts regarding LPG to be posted here ONLY please.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

smoker

rover sd1 - improving lpg set-up

Post by smoker »

I need advice on the best way to go to improve my lpg set up on my rover 3500.
I currently have stromberg carbs with lpg mixers - they do an okay job but they must reduce the effective size of the carbs to about 1 1/8" limiting power.
What are my options ...fit a 4 barrel carb and mixer (v expensive), fit 2" SU jag carbs (If i can find mixers that will fit? or use the BLOS propane carburettor of ebay. Has anyone used these on a rover V8 and is 1 or two required?. Thanks chaps

1984 Rover 3500 running on lpg

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I've got 2x 2" SU's on my 4.6 engine running LPG with an OMVL R90E vapouriser. The mixers are in the elbows.

It works very well, and I don't think it's particularly limiting the power (it pulls very well - 0-60 in 8.5 secs in a 1.7tonne Land Rover, and that's not optimised for fuel or ignition).

I would think a similar setup on a 3.5 would be more than adequate.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

smoker

Post by smoker »

Thanks Chris that's very useful I was toying with the idea of 2" SU's but couldn't find any mixer listed for that type of carb. Is it easy to convert jag 2" carbs and do they bolt straight on the V8 inlet manifold?.
1984 Rover 3500 running on lpg

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

The 2" Jag carbs do fit the manifold, however, the jets foul on the rocker covers. Also the linkages are completely wrong.
I ported the manifold out to match the 2" bore on the carb. Note there's a water jacket in that part of the manifold, so you need to be careful not to break out into it!
I then added some tapered phenolic spacers to tilt the carbs a bit to lift the jets away from the rocker covers.
I also made up the linkages.
Pics are on here:
http://www.cowdery.org.uk/v8rebuild-08.php

I still need to get it rolling-roaded to get the carbs set up properly.

The mixers are still in the elbows that you can see.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “LPG Section”