LPG- cutting out at speed! Suggestions?

Any posts regarding LPG to be posted here ONLY please.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Quagmire
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

LPG- cutting out at speed! Suggestions?

Post by Quagmire »

Guys,

I have the single point, open loop from tinley tech fitted to my rover 3.5.

http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/acatalog/SPOLIS.html

This uses a Bigas M84 vap unit and has been running perfectly for about a year, but recently has started mucking about.

The main symptoms are that it has twice cut out (as in totally dead) whilst traveling at motorway speeds :shock: , and has started to feel a bit more lacking than usual whilst toodling around. When it has cut out on me a quick flick back to petrol and i'm away again. I can then go back to LPG after a minute or two and all seems OK again.

Other niggling issues that seem to have arisen in the last month are that it will begin to misfire after a few minutes of town driving. If i do motorway cruising (but not belting along) and then drop into a town all will be fine for about 5-10 mins before a misfire will develop and then get worse and worse until it is undriveable on LPG. Driving around town without any high speed stuff first seems to cause the issue to arise almost straight away.

I have checked the filter on the vapouriser and that was clean. I believe that the screw on the base of the vapouriser (at the 6 O'Clock position) is a drain of some sort but wasn't too sure and so havent checked that yet. Can anybody confirm if that is what it is, and is it worth checking?

Dont think this is ignition related as i have no issues at all on petrol, plugs, leads and coil are only 3 months old. Am using an electronic dizzy.

Ideas on a postcard please

:D

1974 Rover 3500s
1984 3.5 90
1959 2.25 series 2

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Whip open the bonnet when it's conked out, and make sure that the vapouriser hasn't frozen up (you can tell, because they get covered in frost!)

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Quagmire
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Quagmire »

Aha! You may have something there, i recently mucked about with changing the top radiator hose and so i guess i may have got an airlock in the vapouriser water supply. I hadnt thought to check as it had been working before OK. (forgot about the change in hoses)

1974 Rover 3500s
1984 3.5 90
1959 2.25 series 2

Quagmire
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Quagmire »

Thought i'd post back as i hate it when a thread dies without a solution.

Refilling/bleeding the coolant seemed to cure the problem, no more cut outs at high speed- and it'll idle all day now.

So in true landrover fashion, it then developed an earth fault on the solenoids so they would not open- now fixed....
1974 Rover 3500s
1984 3.5 90
1959 2.25 series 2

Return to “LPG Section”