Please help! Dead Land Rover

Any posts regarding LPG to be posted here ONLY please.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Sportsroof302

Please help! Dead Land Rover

Post by Sportsroof302 »

Hello folks,

I have been searching for advice on LPG kits and this looked like a good place.
My V8 90 (on twin SUs) wouldn't start, having been fine the day before. It has got a BRC LPG kit from about 2001 - fairly basic and probably obsolete I think, with a 'Bristol' switchover system. The RAC man was all over it for a couple of hours but couldn't solve it. I don't think there is any power getting to the coil, which in turn means the relay that halts the petrol doesn't let any through and no volts get to the petrol/lpg switch unit. And no sparks.
Has anyone come across this before or know where I can get a wiring diagram?
Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Graham

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Is it a standard V8 90, i.e. the Haynes manual will have a wiring diagram, or a conversion of some sort?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Sportsroof302

Post by Sportsroof302 »

Hi Chris

It is a standard V8 90 (1990) but the lpg conversion is aftermarket. I have tried the BRC website but I couldn't find anything useful like a wiring diagram for their products.

Cheers

Graham

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

On a simple system like that, the LPG system will piggyback onto the existing system. In principle, all that it does is to shut off the petrol supply and enable the gas supply. And in the event of the engine stalling, it will shut off the gas supply.

There will be either a wire from the -ve side of the coil going into the LPG system, or a wire wrapped around the king HT lead serving the same purpose.

The LPG system shouldn't have any way of preventing or otherwise interfering with the ignition system, so you may simply be looking at a duff fuse or similar. Check for +12V on the coil +ve when the ignition is on, and use Mr. Haynes to trace back to see where the breakage is....

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Sportsroof302

Post by Sportsroof302 »

Thanks Chris.

I have found what appears to be a volt-repellent wire - it is the 12v feed to the +ve side of the coil. 12v at the bulkhead end, none at the coil end. I can bypass this wire and get 12v at the coil (which also brings the lpg switchover box to life) but it still won't start.
Any other pointers? It's got newish leads/plugs/coil/rotor arm/distributor cap.

Cheers

Graham

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Are you now getting a spark at the plugs? I suspect not. Have you got a coil you could substitute? or an igntion amplifier?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Sportsroof302

Post by Sportsroof302 »

I was getting a spark earlier today and the problem wire seemed to be letting volts through. Then it stopped letting volts through again - this seems to happen when the +ve LT/amplifier wire is connected.

I have tried a different coil. I checked the petrol shut off solenoid functions. The petrol pump sounds like it's working.
Lucas gremlins...

Cheers

Graham

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Hmm, maybe the ignition amplifier has packed up then. Is it the distributor mounted one?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Sportsroof302

Post by Sportsroof302 »

Yes - I'll go and have a chat with the local Land Rover place and see if they have a spare.
Cheers

Graham

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

There's two types, one with 2 terminals, one with three. Make sure you get the right one.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “LPG Section”